PDA

View Full Version : Laundry question

mdb78
04-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I live in an apartment building with coin laundry. DH and I usually do laundry every 3 weeks (we have alot of clothes!), but I know when the baby arrives, there will be more frequent washings... So when the time comes and I just have to wash DD stuff alone, and to save money, I would like to just throw all the her stuff together into one machine. Does anybody here do that or do you all just seperate.

Which laundry detergent do you most recommend that hopefully won't let the clothes stain onto eachother?

Thanks! :-)

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I never had clothes stain onto each other. We washed everything together. There was more than enough laundry for all of us to do everyday as ds was into spitting up and it took me a while to get a hang of cloth diapering (diaper service).

I would just use a Free and Clear or something gentler like a natural cleaner (Seventh Generation, Charlie's Soap or a homemade cleaner- there are lots of recipes if you ask on the Lounge). I haven't found one detergent (natural or commercial) to be so superior though there are a lot of raves for Charlie's Soap on the diaper board. You can consider something like OxiClean if organic stains like bms or spit up don't seem to be coming clean with just detergent.

Since you are paying for the laundry I would just try and make the most out of every load and get as much clean each time. Plus, you need to take advantage of those ambitious cleaning moments. :)

Baby doesn't need special soap. No need to separate, imo.

Beth

mdb78
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks!

I went to Target the other day and stopped by the detergent aisle thinking I knew what I was going to get, but then all those different detergents got so overwhelming, that I end up just staring at them for 5 min. and ended up not getting anything! lol.. :)

jniter
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
too many options can be annoying.

I have used both Method and All free and clear for HE washers. They both work fine.

Most baby clothing do not come in darker colors, so washing everything together should be fine. If you want to make loads large so you don't have to lug things to the laundromat every day, I would get extra underwear. Sometimes we'd have a leak, but it would only get to the onesie and not the sleeper.

Oh, another thing. I tend to only use half the "recommended" detergent and it washes fine. In fact, I think it helps the machine rinse the detergent out more thoroughly. Adding more detergent doesn't help with getting out stains.