PDA

View Full Version : How much formula to offer?

julesjlb
11-22-2003, 10:40 AM
I am a first time mom of a 4 week old. I formula feed him. I currently give him 4 ounces in a bottle. He eats every 3-4 hours and often finishes all 4 ounces. He seems satisfied when done eating, goes to sleep and does not cry to be fed again for at least 3 hours. My question is, when do I start to offer him 6 ounces? I do not want to waste formula but I certainly want my little one to eat all he wants to. Help!

LittleStar03
11-30-2003, 07:35 PM
He'll let you know when he wants more than 4 oz. :) Just watch for his hunger cues. If he finishes 4oz and still acts hungry, then I'd say offer him another 1 or 2 oz. Most likely, he'll slowly move up to 5 and then to 6 oz. If he's falling asleep after 4 oz and seems content, and if he's growing well, then he's most likely getting enough to eat. :)

Karenn
12-01-2003, 12:50 AM
The "rule" that we were told in our baby class is that there should always be a half an ounce or so left in the bottle after your son has finished. That way you know that he has eaten as much as he wants. The nurse suggested that if the baby is draining the bottle each time, then he might want to eat more. We were also told that generally, a baby will not "over-eat" as long as the parent isn't pushing the formula too hard so you don't have to worry about him not really wanting the extra ounces but eating them anyway. Maybe you can try offering 6 ounces and see what happens?

Good luck,

amp
12-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Our son usually leaves a little bit of formula in the bottle when he is finished. Once he starts finishing it regularly, I move up an ounce or two and see how it goes. That way I know his belly is really full. Otherwise, he might not be fussing because he's eaten 4oz, but if there was more, he might have had a bit more. Just my 2 cents.