PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I do both?

Fairy
07-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Ok, here's a question that does not seem to be covered in, like, ANY of my books. Why can't I breast feed and do formula? Why can't we so some percentage of formula feeding so that my husband can do this without depending on my stored breast milk? Is there some taboo on this? Is it unhealthy (beyond the "breast milk is best" explanation, I mean)? I simply don't understand why it must be one or the other, and never both unless weaning. Can someone help me understand?

sdbc
07-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Lots of people do do this, especially moms who want to breastfeed, but can't pump enough when they go back to work. The only downside of doing this is that the more you breastfeed, the more milk you will make. If you start supplementing with formula, your brestmilk supply will go down. I would like to breastfeed exclusively, but if I cannot pump enough at work, I will supplement with one bottle of formula every day. Right now we exclusively breastfeed.

BME
07-22-2004, 01:22 AM
I totally understand what you are saying. I exclusively breast feed, but I will be going back to work in a couple of weeks. I have started freezing breast milk for daycare and would hate to tap into that supply prematurely. I've been having my husband give Diego a bottle with formula every once in awhile to get him used to the bottle, and to make sure he'll accept formula in case he runs out of my breastmilk on any given day at daycare. There's no harm in supplementing with formula once a day. Your baby will still be getting the benefits of your breastmilk.

Make sure though that when you're husband feeds your baby with formula, that you pump at the same time of the feeding to keep your milk supply healthy. If you want to continue producing adequate amounts of milk, you unfortunately don't get to take any breaks during bottle feeding sessions.

hellosmiletoday
07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
You can do both...my ped said so and I remember reading a section (albeit very small) about it in the "what to expect" book and maybe in the Dr. Sears book. I think the reason you dont read about it too much is that if you skip too many feedings it can affect your milk supply. But my MIL did both with no probs in her milk supply. You can also pump out your milk while DH gives formula.

I was originally going to do both, but so far pumping is working out. I pump as needed to make sure I have some fresh milk so that DH and I can go out and I dont have to NIP. It gives us more free time. I do not go out longer than 5-6 hrs w/o pumping. I could go longer but after 6 hrs I feel uncomfortable, leak alot, and I dont want to resume menstration (I read that skipping feedings can cause that).

proggoddess
08-01-2004, 04:28 PM
I do both also. I think you don't hear about it much because the Breastfeeding Camp says that breast is best (read: only). And the Formula Camp doesn't want to lose any of the money they're making if you breastfeed.

I supplement with a few oz. of formula a day and I mix it with EBM in DD's bottles. I still try to feed/pump 7 times a day, as I've read in Nursing: The First Two Months that if you consistently feed less than 7 times a day your milk supply will decrease.