PDA

View Full Version : Baby Gripe Water

HIU8
11-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Ok, I'm due in 5.5 weeks, and my friend, whose baby is 5 weeks old was telling me about baby gripewater. She swears by it. I assume that if I need something like that I am going to ask the doctor first. Can anyone tell me about this, have you used it? Does it work? What else can you do?

Thanks,

Heather

mom2jasper
11-03-2004, 03:20 PM
My son is 6 weeks old and loves gripe water. We got a brand called Woodwards--since 1853 it says on the bottle. It's mostly dill seed oil and he LOVES the taste. To me it tastes sort of like licorice. It says on the label that it warms the stomach and makes the trapped gas bubbles burst--ie the baby burps. It does seem to settle him down/make him burp. It also gets rid of hiccups. I give it to him in a medicine dropper, or with a little water in a bottle, or a bit on his pacifier. It does say not to use before the baby is a month old though. It's alcohol and sugar free. I live in London, UK and can get it easily in any supermarket, but will definitely be bringing a supply of this to my sister in the States over Christmas who is pregnant and due in January. It's worth a try!

Robin