PDA

View Full Version : finger foods

emilyf
08-29-2003, 09:21 PM
My nine month old ds just can't seem to get the hang of finger foods. He loves to eat solid things (cheerios, fruits, vegs, bread, cheese) really anything I put in his mouth, but he won't pick it up and feed himself. If I put some cheerios in front of him, he will pick them up one by one and drop them on the floor. But he is clearly enthusiastic about eating them if I offer it to him. All the other babies his age we see sit happily picking up their own food and resist being fed by mama, he is the exact opposite. Anyone else have this experience? I would love for him to start some self-feeding to give me a break!
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

newbelly2002
08-31-2003, 09:01 AM
Emily--

We have the same problem with drinking (eating he seemed,like his Papa, to figure out pretty quickly!). DS will point to the sippy cup, and even go so far as to pick it up and hand it to me. Then I have to tip it into his open and waiting mouth. I've tried ignoring it, but he gets more and more upset (not to mention thirsty), then dumps the whole thing on the table. He can shake it, pick it up, but refuses (perhaps willfully?) to tip it into his mouth.

So this weekend we have resorted to a straw, which while messier (until we get a closed cup with a straw) at least is providing him with a little more self-reliance.

I'll be curious to hear what advice people offer!

Paula

luvbeinmama
10-19-2003, 11:47 PM
DD was a bit slow on the uptake on this one as well. Just keep putting it in front of him. He will eventually put them in his mouth. Then you'll have to watch out, because everything will go in the mouth! LOL!! My other problem was DD choking on the finger foods. She just turned 1 yr and it was only in the last 2-4 weeks that I have felt comfortable giving and introducing more finger foods to her. They all do this on their own time. Don't worry or compare (I know, that's hard to do). He will get it.

Edited to add: LOL!! I just noticed that this was an AUGUST post! LOL!! I have to start looking at the dates!!

the2bobs
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
My DS (10 mos) isn't really interested in finger foods. I can only get him to eat Cheerios and the Gerber puffs and that is only when I put him in his high chair whenever I'm eating at the table. I put his Cheerios/puffs on his tray and then he'll put them in his mouth to eat along w/ us. And it took months to get to this point! Just keep at it.