PDA

View Full Version : Traces of Wheat - Earth's Best Oatmeal

Kendra
08-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Just bought a new box of Earth's Best oatmeal and it now says it "may contain traces of wheat" after the ingredient list. The old box doesn't say this. Add this to the Baby 411 info that it's processed in the same plant as nuts and I'm wondering if I should be buying this stuff.

DrSally
08-10-2006, 06:50 PM
I read this in the Baby Bargains book, I think. If I remember correctly, they said it wasn't listed on the box, but somehow they knew that Earth's Best Cereals were made in a plant that also makes stuff with wheat. I also bought a box of Beech Nut cereal and the rice has some sunflower oil in it and the oatmeal contains wheat. So, I don't buy either Earth's Best or Beech Nut cereals. Gerber has organic rice and oatmeal.

Kendra
08-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Another reason I'm no longer buying Earth's Best - on two occasions now I've found sizable chunks (larger than a quarter) of green bean skin in the green beans and rice. The first time I figured it was a fluke, but I emailed the company and have not received an answer (it's been a while). Happened again today - I can't see buying this stuff if it's no more pureed than what I can do with my food processor. Organic is important but so is keeping choking hazards out of my baby's food.

o_mom
10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Almost all oatmeal in the US is contaminated with gluten because of processing, storage and crop rotation. There was a discussion in the Feeding Forum not too long ago regarding gluten/wheat allergies. This may be why they are labeling it that way since most wheat allergies are to gluten.