PDA

View Full Version : Homemade baby food books?

mamacita
06-12-2002, 09:21 PM
Hi~
Any book recommedations on preparing homemade baby food.
Thanks you!
~ Mamacita

HOBSON725
06-15-2002, 03:52 PM
try ruth yaron's super baby food. i use it and so far my dd loves the homeade stuff!

emilyphill
06-21-2002, 08:26 PM
I use this book too - its great. But start early with it bc now my dd prefers the gerber oatmeal.

zekedancin
05-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Great question! I just added this book to my baby registry!

Thanks!

Any other suggestions?

WatchingThemGrow
05-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Too funny. I hated that book, Super Baby Foods. Too busy, too much info, and I came across things that seemed out of date with the current recommendations. Lots of the reviews I read said the same thing. I wasn't crunchy enough maybe. Sold it.

Now, I didn't try out a bunch of other ones, but the DK First Meals seemed a lot easier to manage. My friend loved Blender Baby Food. DK has another one out I'd love to look at. There are some good websites also.

At a minimum, you should get a copy of Child of Mine, Feeding with Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter. It is a fantastic book on the principles of feeding little ones. It is good for the whole life of your child.

Personally, I think you should go to a good bookstore or 2 and check out what is offered. Peoples' preferences differ greatly and you need to see which one seems like something you would enjoy using.

Neatfreak
05-21-2008, 08:41 AM
I liked Super Baby Food only for the individual listings of fruits and veggies; I'm afraid that I had trouble with the rest of Ruth Yaron's philosophical musings. The other book that I had which I made quite a few recipes from was Annabel Karmel's Baby and Toddler Meal Planner.

TonFirst
05-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I didn't like Super Baby Foods AT ALL. Maybe it was the outdated information, maybe it as Yaron's excessive use of exclamation points. Whatever it was, that book was not my style at all.

I made all of my son's baby food - local, organic, all that good stuff - and the resource I used the most (other than my food processor and my own culinary know-how, like grinding leftover roast chicken in my food processor with a little low-sodium chicken broth to make awesome pureed chicken to mix with veggies, etc.) was wholesomebabyfood.com, a recommendation someone here gave me three years ago. It is an awesome site and you can save $$ not buying Yaron's book because all the nutritional recommendations and basic fruit and veggie recipes are at the site.

Other things that are great when making one's own baby food, besides a food processor and/or a food mill? OXO ice cube trays - they have handy lids.

I also wholeheartedly second the recommendation of Satter's "Child of Mine." There isn't a better book out there on feeding your little one.

natesmom
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I have a couple of books, but have gotten my best information from wholesomebabyfood.com. Its well written and well organized! Have been making babyfood for three years and its worked out well!! Good luck!

sfmom
06-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know of any on-line resources regarding home-made baby food?

TonFirst
06-19-2008, 10:42 PM
wholesomebabyfood.com - it's the best.

elephantmeg
06-20-2008, 08:11 AM
I would go with the wholesome baby food website and forgo the book, personally. The prep for babyfood is all pretty much the same at the begining-take a single item, cook it dead and puree it :) Then when you get past all those and they can do wheat etc you just puree what you're having for supper. :) I do reccomend Ellen's book though!