PDA

View Full Version : Miralax

vdrake71
09-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this drug?

mamarazzo
10-14-2004, 03:00 AM
(In case you're still out there and reading the board...)

Yes, what would you like to know?

My DS (18 months now) is currently on it for the second time for an ongoing constipation problem. Last time he was on it for about 3 months, and this time so far he seems to be getting through it a bit quicker, so we'll see.

MR

vdrake71
11-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. My DS is currently on Miralax, but it is a little scary when my Dr. recommended a product to help my DS with his problem. We first gave him Miralax every few days then stopped once he pooped, but we still had problems. The Dr. then recommended that we put him on it for 3 straight months. My DS is now going every 2 days (Woo Hoo!!) and no more straining. I just hope this is not a long term problem.

mamarazzo
11-01-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm with you. I was also not eager to put my little guy on medication, especially one that's recommended for continuous use, sometimes for an indefinite amount of time. Current medical opinion claims it's fairly benign, but I can't help but have concerns - I guess I'm like any other mom that way. ;-)

Sounds like your DS is making good progress, that's great! The trickiest part for us has been the cycle of holding back. For the most part I've been able to keep him regular through diet, but occasionally he'll get a little backed up, especially if he decreases his fluid intake for a day or two. He'll have a painful poop, then hold back as long as possible, making the next poop painful as well, and on it goes. Once he gets to that point, diet by itself isn't enough. The Miralax helps break the cycle by keeping things easy to pass no matter how long he holds back, so eventually the fear and agitation diminish and he gets back on track. DH apparently had similar troubles as a baby, so we might have to keep on top of this for a while. Sigh.

Best of luck to you!
MR

anamarsy
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I have a 10 mo. who has been on Miralax for about 3 weeks. It hasn't been working well lately and I'm wondering if she's not taking enough. She's taking 1/8 tsp. three times a day. My ped. doesn't usually use Miralax for babes this young, but she knows its okay to. I think she's more conservative, so she probably started us out on a lower dose.

Just wondering how much your babies are taking? I am going to call our doc. on Monday b/c dd just had another terrible episode tonight and I feel so badly for her. Thanks!