PDA

View Full Version : No poop since a week

nive
07-22-2005, 08:59 AM
My three month old son hasn't pooped since one week now.He is exclusively BFed.The nurse said that sitting him in warm water ,making cycling movements with his legs and taking his rectal temp could help in causing a bowel movement. Yesterday his Ped said to use suppositories.

I don't want to use suppositories.I have tried sitting him in warm water and making cycling movements with his legs.

Is it normal for breast fed babies not to have bowel movements for so many days.

Thanks

duesept05
03-31-2006, 11:40 PM
My baby hadn't pooped since Saturday (and was decreasing the amount of milk she drank and increased fussiness) so I called the Pediatrician and he recommended the suppositories as well. I was weary but I spoke with a pharmacist and purchased the Fleet brand. She indicated many parents like it because it's easy to use - I'd never done it before. It was very easy and didn't bother my daughter. She had her poop in 5 minutes was happy as could be afterward!!

atlcombs
08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
My DD#2 regularly goes about 2 weeks between poops and she has been exclusively breastfed except for the introduction of rice cereal. According to her pediatrician, this can happen and as long as they are soft and not hard, then it is ok. Also, she is never uncomfortable or acts like she is trying to poop, but nothing comes out. The doctor also this is the longest she has ever known a baby to go between bowel movements. I know, my DD is a weirdo! :P
~gina

mommalilone
09-08-2006, 08:03 PM
We are going on day #8 with DD and still no poop. Since I have gone back to work, her 'normal' cycle is every 7-8 days. We saw the doctor today and he said for exclusively breastfed babies that this is more and more common at her age. (4 mos) He said that if DD is continuing to eat and not too fussy when eating that he doesn't really see a problem since there isn't much waste from breast milk.
He recommended doing 1 teaspoon of dark karo syrup in 2-4 ounces of water twice a day and then if that didn't work to try the suppository. The first time we did the karo water, DD didn't really like it. We ended up doing the suppository and had a blowout. It wasn't in 15 minutes like the box said, but it happens.