PDA

View Full Version : 7 month poops three times a day

HappyNovMom
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Our 7 month goes to daycare. He has been pooping once a day since he was 5 month old and has a nice routine. Just recently, he starts pooping three times a day. We think it is too many times for his age. He normally takes 21oz formula, 2 Gerber jar of baby food, one small bowl of rice cereal and half egg yolk. After introducing solid food, he doesn't like his formula any more and it is getting very difficult to feed him. BUt the teacher at daycare is able to feed him 7oz one time and tells us he eats well--totally opposite to how he eats at home on weekend.

Do you think he is eating too much? Or are we just paranoid? Thanks.

Molly C
07-14-2006, 07:00 AM
My DD will be 7 months next week, and we were just at the doctor's this week talking about solids.

At this age, your DS's main source of nutrition should be from formula or breastmilk. My doctor said that my DD needs about 24-32 oz of formula/breastmilk a day, and at this age should only be eating one solid meal a day. I can introduce a second meal between 7-8 months, and a 3rd around 9 months, but during this time her milk intake should still stay within that 24-32 ounce range. The milk consumption only drops after they hit a year.

It sounds to me like he is getting too much in the way of solids right now and not enough from formula. His little body might just not know what to do with all the solids he gets. I would try backing off on some of the solids for a while and increase his formula amount. Even if he prefers solids, if he is hungry enough, he should end up taking a bottle from you. If not, you might want to try to introduce a sippy cup - he should get the hang of one in another month or so I would think, and give him some formula that way.

I don't know that this will solve the digestion problems per se, but I am concerned that he is not getting enough formula at the expense of solids. Right now solids are just for practice and getting used to textures, not for nutrition.

jgriffin
07-14-2006, 10:48 PM
It seems like a lot of solid food for a 7mo; E was eating about that much when he was 9-10mo. He did drink about 7oz of formula at a time when he was 7mo (now he drinks more like 6oz at a time).

That being said, E poops 2-4 times a day, and has for many months. Our ped said that different kids have different schedules, and we shouldn't worry about it.

Jen