PDA

View Full Version : When were DC's BMs formed?

oliviasmomma
10-09-2006, 11:31 PM
DD is almost 18 months old and her poops are still pretty pasty/mushy. She usually goes twice a day and has never been constipated. She has never had a "formed" BM, though. Is this weird? Should we do something? She is growing fine, gaining weight just fine, eats like a horse, etc. Her diet is pretty well-rounded, no junk food, lots of fruits, veggies and grains. Opinions?

Saartje
10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Sounds to me like she's getting plenty of fiber and plenty of liquids, so her body's not having any trouble pushing out the waste matter. It's not weird and certainly doesn't mean anything's wrong.

oliviasmomma
10-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks for answering--I didn't think anyone would see my post down here :) I just have these moments of paranoia because every other child (not that there's many) I see get changed has more formed poo. Then again, now that you've mentioned the fiber thing, most of the kids we know live on nuggets and hot dogs. Olivia is a brown rice and veggie kind of girl! (and cheese puffs...)

slr
10-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Just wanted to add that my son just had his 18 month appt with the doctor yesterday, and I mentioned that his bowel movements were still mushy. The doctor said not to worry that it is still normal at this age. He is still moving right along the growth curve, so I guess there is no worry. I'm still kicking myself for not asking the next logical question - When should his poops become more solid? I guess I will cross that bridge at his 2 year appt if they are still the same consistency.

oliviasmomma
10-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! (It would actually be easier if they were a bit more solid, KWIM?)

slr
10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I definitely know what you mean. There was a point when they were more solid and clean up was definitely much easier. Now I go through a lot more wipes. Oh well.