PDA

View Full Version : help me potty train my just turned 3 year old

Lynnie
04-16-2007, 06:02 PM
he is afraid to have a bm in the toilet. he says he doesn't want to, then tells me, mommy, i went poo poo in my _____ (fill in blank: diaper, pull-ups, underwear)

I guess I just wait till he's ready ?? what if he's never ready ??

new_mommy25
04-20-2007, 03:04 AM
Noah PT'd right around his third birthday. Pee was pretty easy and we got that done in a couple weeks. Poops were much harder and it took well over a month and heavy bribery. There was a Thomas toy he really wanted and it was pretty expensive. So we told him he could have it when he pooped in the potty. We talked and talked about that toy for forever it seemed. Every time he pooped in his pants we talked about how next time we would try it on the potty and blah blah blah. Anyway, one day he told me he had to poop, I stuck him on the potty and he went. We did lots of cheering and then I loaded the kids in the car and drove straight to the toy store. He hasn't had an accident since then. The trick I learned (I think I read it in the Toddler forum a long time ago) was to ditch the insert and stick them on the toilet. They have to kind of brace themselves with their hands but gravity takes over and it is easier for them to go.
Good luck!!

Lynnie
04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
thanks !!