PDA

View Full Version : How much sleep should a 14-month old really be getting?

jojo2324
09-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Maybe my kid only needs 9-11 hours of sleep a day...Is that feasible? He usually goes down around 8-9 pm, with little or no fussing, thank goodness! Then he wakes up between 4-5 for a feeding, then asleep until 6-7. My biggest hurdle is naptime. He just won't nap. He must hate his crib during daylight hours, even with my best darkening efforts.

If we're in the car, he'll conk out. If I sleep with him, he'll conk out, and stay conked out for 3 hours!!! What can I do to get him to nap for three hours in his crib, so that I can have some time to myself, or take my own nap, alone? If he does manage to fall asleep in his crib during the day, it's an hour max. The longest he has ever slept there for a nap was two hours, and he probably would have slept longer if I didn't keep checking on him, worried that something MUST be wrong for him to stay asleep for so long! :P

Any words of wisdom? I am trying to get him down to one nap, a big 2-3 hour nap, but it seems to be failing. He gets cranky and might snooze for an hour around 10, and then another hour around 3. That's too late, isn't it? TIA!

sarasprings
09-15-2003, 08:32 PM
I just gave up on ds napping alone. He's 16 months and has never liked sleep.

It took about a month for ds to get used to only one nap a day. He didn't need his morning nap anymore (atleast he wouldn't fall asleep for it), but he still got a little sleepy at that time. He'll nap for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, but only if I'm with him. I figure it's great reading time.

Do you think napping from 3-4 is disturbing his nighttime sleep? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry, no advice, but I totally understand wanting your son to nap on his own during naptime. Even if I don't sleep, I really need the down time.

KUvsOU
10-14-2003, 04:01 PM
My son is almost 16 months old and still is taking two naps. Granted, his morning nap is usually only an hours. He usually wakes up around 7 a.m and is ready for his nap around 9:30 a.m. Then, he takes an afternoon nap, which usually starts between 1 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. He usually sleeps 1-1/2 hours; however, some days it is shorter and other days it is longer. He usally goes to bed between 7:30 p.m. and usually sleep 11-1/2 to 12 hours at night. The handout I have from our local children's hosptial says a toddler from 15 to 18 months needs 12 to 13 hours of sleep each night, but does not say anything about naps.

I don't think the afternoon nap is too late as long as it is not causing a problem with how long he sleeps at night. Have you tried to put him down 15-30 minutes earlier in the afternoon? I didn't know if he might sleep a little longer if he went down a little earlier.

Shawna
Mom to Cade 6/16/02

KUvsOU
10-14-2003, 04:07 PM
I forgot to mention that Cade does not get his morning nap every other Monday due to my mom's group. He usually very tired and often falls asleep in the car on the way home so he definitely is not ready to give up the morning nap.

I have to admit I still enjoy having a little time in the morning and afternoon to get things done.