PDA

View Full Version : Standing At Crib...Won't Fall Asleep on Own

agomalley
11-13-2003, 11:00 AM
DS is 7 months old and I have been having a really hard time getting him to sleep. He seems to have lost the ability to self soothe himself and more and more I have been nursing him to get him down. Now, he has learned to pull himself up and stands at his crib crying and crying. I have to go back in, lay him down and hopefully by rubbing his back, he falls asleep. On top of that, he's fallen a couple of times and hit his head on the side rails. How long does it take before they learn how to climb back down? This whole sleep thing is becoming a huge battle. Thanks for any advice.

Anabelle and Ryan 4/9/03

MommytoDylan
11-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Anabelle,

We really struggled with this so I totally feel your pain. Dylan's naps were short and ended with him crying and standing up--unable to get down. It went on for a few weeks but could have been alot quicker if I had started really working with him on learning to sit.

My advice would be to just do LOTS of training for the next few days on how to sit (in the crib). First I worked with getting him to let go and fall on his bottom. Then, we worked on sliding his hands down the slats of the crib so he was closer to the mattress and then dropping down. I used toys he really loved and put them beside him in the crib as an incentive to drop down. Does that make sense? The last "skill" I worked on was bending the knees to sit.

The best time to practice the sitting is when they are happy, rested, and fed. Dylan seemed to like the practice as I played and sang as we went along.

HTH,

Meredith

agomalley
11-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Meredith,
Thanks for the great idea. We're going to start practicing today!
Anabelle