PDA

View Full Version : routine for 4-5 month old

ehmom
11-30-2003, 05:45 AM
ds just rounded the 4 month corner, and i am wondering what a typical routine is for a baby this age. i know they are all different. how long do they stay awake between naps during the day? how many naps a day? how much are you feeding in a 24 hour period? how long between feedngs. you catch my drift. i am really just curious because he seems to be trying to be awake longer and eat more each feeding. any feedback would be appreciated !!

Allison H.
12-06-2003, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure if we're typical, but my 4 1/2 month old son generally sleeps about 10-11 hours or so at night, and then takes 3-4 naps during the day of anywhere from 45 minutes to and hour and one-half long. I'm breastfeeding him and he has five feedings/day, each about 3 to 3 1/2 hours apart. They are at roughly 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 8pm. The last one is a little later, and I usually try feeding him a little rice cereal sometime between 6-7. Then he's asleep by 8:30. I think he's taking in about 6 ounces at each feeding -- thats how much I get when I pump, anyway. He's also very large for his age -- he weighed in at over 17 lbs. at his 4-month check-up, so he may eat more than your average four month old. I think that it's normal for them to be awake more at this stage, and to eat more (and more efficiently) at each feeding. Nice, because it means less feedings for us and the feedings we have are shorter!

Allison

Caroline1124
12-30-2003, 12:34 AM
I don't know if this is normal, but Dylan usually wakes around 7am, at the latest at 8:30am. He eats a couple of tablespoons of cereal then about 5-6 oz of formula. His feedings are spaced 3.5 hours apart, so if he eats at 8, then 11:30 and 3pm, 7-8 oz each time. He eats about 1/2 jar of babyfood at dinner with 5-6 oz of formula. We bathe him at 6pm and he is asleep by 6:30, he is now falling asleep on his own. He has been sleepign through the night, but the last week or so he has been waking again around 3-4am for a feeding and also drinking more, so I think he is going through a growth spurt. At daycare he naps horribly, but on weekends or when we have a day off, he naps around 10am and around 2pm for 1-2 hours.

OctBaby
01-05-2004, 06:51 PM
When did your son start sleeping through the night. How did you sleep train him?