PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Problems with 6 mo. old

yhtking
12-15-2003, 07:56 PM
I need some help and sleep. DS is now six month old. He has been teething since Thanksgiving. His first two teeth came out. He was sleept straight through the night for 3 night in a row last week. But, it has been hell since last Friday night. He wouldn't take naps. He would wake up after 15 to 20 minutes of nap during the day. The babysitter said he cried and cried during the day. He just went down for a nap and just now started crying again. At night after his last bottle, he would go down oaky except for last night. He struggled with my DH till 10:30 at night. Then he woke up again at 4:30 and took a bottle and I put him down, he would cry and fuss. Finally my DH took him and slept in the spare bedroom at five o'clock. I need help. What's going on? How long is this supposed to last? I'm very frustrated. I feel like I have a high need baby with very high demands. Help! I dont' understand the meaning of sleeping through the night. Please help me and DH before we lose our sanity.

Mom to Baby T (6/6/3)

agomalley
12-19-2003, 11:01 PM
I feel your pain! My DS had been having problems with his sleep from the end of September (when he was almost 6 mos.) until just a couple of weeks ago! I tried everything. Some people told me that an ear infection might be the problem. (You might want to check for that) I took him to the ped., but that wasn't the case. The one thing that finally helped happened after I read Weissbluth's book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I finally got him on a schedule where he naps at 9 and 1 everyday and goes down at 7 every night. He had been getting up 3 or 4 times a night. NOw he sleeps from 7-4:30/5 (eats) then goes back to sleep until 7. We also had to make him CIO, although I was pretty inconsisitent with it. I just didn't go in at every whimper. Weissbluth goes into a lot of detail about sleep patterns and habits. I highly reccomend it. Good Luck! It will get better!!!
Anabelle and Ryan 4/9/03

Kieransmom
12-28-2003, 09:25 PM
My son does the same thing. In fact, as I'm writing this he's doing it. His top teeth have been very slow to come in and he's having a tough time. Normally I can put him down at bedtime and he's out like a light. Tonight we have been dealing with a screaming baby for the past hour and a half. This is very unusual for him because he's gone right to bed the past month without any difficulty. I just gave him a dose of Infant's Tylenol. Have you tried that? It seems to help.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

phathui5
12-30-2003, 02:32 AM
This too will pass. When my ds was teething were some of the hardest nights we had. Just be there for your baby. If he cries, it's because he needs something. If he's in pain from teething, he may just need you to comfort him. Dr Sears' site recommends giving a dose of Tylenol before bedtime if he's in a lot of pain.