PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Books

ericajosh
01-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Any suggestions out there about what sleep book I should buy? I have read positive comments about "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby." Is this a useful book? If not, what sleep book(s)do you suggest?
Thanks.
:)

Marissa
01-11-2004, 11:10 PM
It depends on what method you want to use with your baby. If you are okay with having your baby cry to sleep, the book you mentioned is good. You could also try the Ferber method.

My husband and I do not believe in letting our son cry himself to exhaustion, so the Weissbluth book (the one you mentioned) is out. It did have a very good discussion about sleep, and sleep patterns, though. We are using "The No-Cry Sleep Solution." It also teaches about sleep, but doesn't rely on leaving the baby by himself to get results. You can also look at the Sears Sleep Book, which also uses methods other than crying it out.

Karenn
01-12-2004, 01:36 AM
The ones that were the most useful to me in order were:

Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child
Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Richard Ferber
Sleeping Through the Night by Jodi Mindell

I know that many people have had good luck with the No Cry Sleep Solution. It did not work for us, but it could still be worth trying. It does have some useful suggestions.

Really though, the book that you mentioned was far and away the most helpful to me in helping DS become well rested. What I like about the book is the fact that it has so much additional information about how to develop good sleep habits and the general biology of sleep that doesn't necessarily involve the baby crying.

Jen in Chicago
01-14-2004, 10:36 AM
After partially following the book, we are getting full force into "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" Last night we did have to CIO for 40 minutes, but he slept through the night for the FIRST time AND he woke up so happy. He always is happy when he wakes, but today he was more than usual. The 40 minutes last night were hell, but it paid off. He has been waking up on an average of 3 times b/n 7 pm and 6 am.

I bought the Ferber book, but accidently left it on an airplane.

Dr Weissbluth started our Ped practice, so I know I needed to go this route before trying another method. All I found difficult for a working mom who can't really control daytime sleeping.

kitmama
04-06-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm currently reading whatever I can get my hands on regarding getting my baby to sleep better. So far I've read "The No-Cry Sleep Solution", "On Becoming Babywise", "Hush Little Baby" and "The Happiest Baby on the Block". The last two books were useful in the first weeks when my son was really colicky and I mainly wanted tips that helped me soothe him and keep him from crying. (I particularly liked Karp's "Happiest Baby").
My main issue now is getting my little darling to sleep longer when I put him down- getting him to go to sleep is no problem, and I can even put him down when he's still awake. But he still wakes frequently at night, (even when he's not hungry), and will NOT take a longer nap than he feels like taking. (They're often only 30 or 45 mins long, but he sleeps better at night when he's had a couple long naps- say 1 1/2 or 2 hrs).
Now I'm reading "Nighttime Parenting". I wouldn't really recommend "Babywise" or "Nighttime Parenting", because each book seems a bit extreme to me. They are polar opposites. Maybe you could read them both, then choose the middle ground that works for you!
Out of the books I've listed, my favorite is "The No-Cry Sleep Solution". I've decided to give it a try. Hope this was helpful. Good luck! (I know I need it!)

NewMom1212
05-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I would recommend Babywise only to help you set up a daytime routine. Every book tells you to do it, but this is only I found that tells yoy HOW to do it. I didn't follow it to the letter, but it got me started in the right direction. A daytime routine, including, yes, a regular feeding schedule, WILL help your baby sleep. I am reading Ferbers book now and it is really good at explaining how baby's sleep - the science of it. I think you need to understand that before you jump in.

Good Luck.

masha12
06-02-2004, 07:17 PM
I really liked Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Everything the author said jived with my experiences in babysitting and watching my friends with their children. The most enjoyable children to be around are the children that are well-rested.

I know many parents object to the author's cry it out strategy, but I think he does a great job of explaining why this is the best (but not the only) route to go. Personally, I would rather deal with a few nights of crying to train the child to fall asleep rather than deal with years of sleep problems.

Even you don't agree with this, I would still read the book because the author provides interesting information on children and sleep and how parents need to treat sleep in the same way they treat food. I.e., just as you would not deprive your child of healthy food, you should not deprive your child of healthy sleep (yes, there is such a thing as "junk sleep").

I think too many parents treat sleep as something that is option or something that can be scheduled to fit the parents' schedules. Healthy Sleep Habits explains why this is not true.

Liz J
06-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I completely agree with the previous response!
Because of this book, my dd is now sleeping 12-13 hrs at night and taking regular naps during the day.
Letting her cry for the first couple of nights was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but in the end I have a very happy and rested little girl!

Liz
Mom to Emily January 2004

JodiBodi
09-17-2004, 10:51 PM
what is the longest you let her cry? how did you get through hearing all the crying???? i feel awful making my baby cry, and my husband always gives me a sad look, which makes me feel even more guilty!! i end up running in and nursing my baby to sleep :(
help!!!!

jodi
mommy to zachary: 6 months