PDA

View Full Version : 10month old not sleeping through night....

jbeamer
01-26-2004, 01:21 PM
My DD is 10months old and for the last two weeks has not been sleeping through the night. She wakes between 2-4 and eats about 4-6ounces. If I let her CIO it lasts forever,and we end of feeding her. When I feed her, she goes right back to sleep. She tends to sleep about 8 hours and then needs to eat. shouldn't she be able to sleep longer? I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Jen

Marissa
02-01-2004, 12:55 AM
I really wouldn't worry about it. Many babies aren't sleeping as long as your daughter, at much later ages. Eight hours is a long time to sleep straight - remember, 5 hours is considered "sleeping through the night." You're 3 hours ahead of the game!

~marissa

CarolynRS1
02-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Jen:
I highly recommend Richard Ferber's book. Even if you do not want to do his "sleep training method", it is full of very useful information on sleep for babies and children. I use it often as a reference for my 18 month DD and 4 month DD.

I "Ferberized" my DD at 7 months because she was still waking up every 2-3 hours like a newborn. She did not know how to put herself back to sleep. Doing this method taught her this and we only had to do it for 2 nights....maybe an hour to an hour and 1/2 each night.

DD still does not always sleep through the night, but I do know she can put herself to sleep so I don't bother "ferberizing" anymore....eventhough I probably still should in some instances.

I am guessing that your DD does know how to put herself back to sleep since she can do 8 hours. Sometimes babies sleep gets disrupted when they reach milestones such as crawling and walking. Teething and illness can also cause them to wake up. So can a growth spurt.

I would ride this out a little longer and see what happens. If this is still a problem after another we3ek or so, then perhaps you can refer to Ferber's book and see what it says about this sort of behavior.

It's frustrating when babies have sleep issues. Good luck!
Carolyn