PDA

View Full Version : Safe for one-month-old to sleep through the night?

PattiB
01-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi -
I don't mean to annoy anyone and I know I should count my blessings, but I'm concerned that my DD is sleeping for too long of a stretch at night! Her pediatrician advised us at her 2-week appointment to not wake her for night feedings (she's formula fed), but rather to let her wake us when she's hungry, and to be sure she's fed between 2-3 hour intervals during the day. She's in her 4th week now and I've been pretty much demand feeding her during the day, trying to keep it within the 2-3 hour intervals, and waking her at 3 hours if she's sleeping during the day. For the last 3 nights she's been sleeping for 6 or 7 hour stretches (this may not be considered "through the night" to some but it sure is to me after 4 weeks of sleeplessness!) She's hard to put down before 11:00 so I usually give her a feeding around 10:00 - 10:30, and then she's asleep anywhere between 11:00 and midnight. She's up generally around 5:30. The first time this happened I totally freaked and ran into her room to make sure she was OK and she was still sleeping at 5:30 - which was 6 hours of sleeping, but over 7 hours since her last feeding. I have a feeling the pediatrician didn't have this in mind when he said we should let her wake us - I'm thinking he figured on a 4-hour stretch maybe. Last night again, it was over 7 hours between feedings. Believe me, I'm loving the sleep, but isn't this an awfully long time to go between feedings for a 4-week-old?? Did anyone else have this happen and do you think it's safe? She's eating about 25-30 ounces per day, which is what our doctor said to look for, and her output is normal, so she seems to be receiving adequate nutrition, but I'm just concerned about these long stretches b/c her stomach is so tiny (she was 6 pounds at birth, 6 pounds 11 ounces at her 2-week appointment, and I'm not sure what she is now) that she must be so hungry after a few hours...
Thanks!

Marissa
02-01-2004, 12:53 AM
Our ped said it was fine (not that our son slept that long - it was just wishful thinking!). A baby is too set on survival; if she's hungry enough, she'll wake up at night.

~Marissa

w2bhm
02-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Congratulations - you have what most mother's dream of. Don't worry about it - it's perfectly fine. As long as she is eating 8 - 12 times during the day - let her sleep through the night. Formula fed babies usually last longer on a feeding because it takes longer for them to digest the formula. As long as she is gaining weight - let her sleep at night. Great job!