PDA

View Full Version : Lack of naps during the day

susani
02-02-2004, 10:43 PM
I have read some of the posts here, but I still have a question about my baby's sleeping during the day. She's 4 weeks old and probably has colic, but in the last week she has gone for several stretches of 5 to 7 hours where she is not sleeping, and I mean she is not sleeping (not even little 20 minute power naps). I talked to her doctor briefly today and he didn't seem bothered by it, but I just need some reassurance that, while this may not be "normal" we're not the only parents out there with this problem.

Marissa
02-02-2004, 10:52 PM
My son was very similar; wouldn't sleep during the day, then took forever to wind down at night because he was overtired! We solved it almost overnight by getting a Hug a Bub carrier (a wrap around carrier where the baby is kind of wrapped on to your body). He went RIGHT to sleep every time. If you're at home with your daughter, you might want to try a Hug a Bub or other soft carrier - a sling, an Ella Roo, etc. Carrying the baby helps calm her and helps her sleep.

Good luck!
~marissa

susani
02-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Is the Hug a Bub like a sling because I've tried the Baby Bjorn and she just cries when she's in that. We do carry her around a lot which calms her sometimes.

brookehanna
02-03-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm in the same boat right now with my 5 week old. He will sometimes sleep for 10 or even 30 minutes..but he stays awake and fusses most of the day it seems. I do think he has been bothered by gas or the hiccups (they always wake him up). Some things you might try are from Dr. Karp's book, Happiest Baby on the Block. Try swaddling her, then holding her tight in your arms and swinging from side to side. Giving her a pacifier if she is still fussing will usually put them right to sleep. (do all three at once). If you still get a few wimpers make a shhhing noise right near her ears. Even if this doesn't get Jack to sleep it does keep him from screaming. Good luck!

Brooke

Mom to Jack born 12/28/03

HelenD
02-11-2004, 01:19 PM
I will second the book (or video) Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Karp. REally, really, really works!

Also, just to let you know you are not alone, my DD can go 16-18 hours without a nap. She's 4.5 months now, and has never been a child that slept much.

I am NOT making that up - imagine a newborn that doesn't sleep, like EVER. That was my DD from 0-2 months or so.

luvbug
02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I too had trouble getting my four-month-old son to take naps. While he has no trouble sleeping in his crib at night, he fusses and cries if I try to lay him down in it during the day - resulting in one overtired, cranky boy! A couple months ago we settled into a routine where he takes two-hour naps twice daily in his swing. His pediatrician has no problem with it.

For his first nap, I place him in the swing about 90 minutes after he wakes up in the morning. Usually he has no trouble falling asleep quickly. The second nap is more difficult. I put him in the swing about 90 minutes after he wakes up from his first nap. He tends to fuss and cry, so I read and sing to him until he becomes drowsy.

While it would be great if he would sleep lying down, I'll take what I can get :).