PDA

View Full Version : How do I get baby to sleep without the swing ?

TraciG
02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Well Sydney only can sleep in the day in the swing , she's 3 1/2 months old, it's a big problem if we go out & she actually falls asleep in the car ( another problem ) when we get to where ever we are going , like someone's house she wont stay asleep in the car seat because there's no movement so then she'll be awake by 5 minutes & very cranky because then she cant get back to sleep. How do I get her to sleep without the swing, i dont know why we even bought her a crib, she also sleeps in bed with me, this wasn't planned, we also have a pack N play in our room, the first 2 weeks after she was born she would sleep there then she would scream so eventually she ended up in our bed where I would nurse & she'd fall asleep, usually i'd fall asleep first !!!!!!!! I actaully now love sleeping with her, not great for the sex life :) but my family & husbands family keep telling me I have to get her out of our bed, she has to learn to sleep on her own, the longer we wait the harder it will be.

Suggestions PLEASE

Marissa
02-17-2004, 10:08 PM
It doesn't sound like you WANT to have her in her own bed. If so, let her stay. Our son is 6 months old, and has slept in our bed every night of his life. To get some 'mommy and daddy time,' we put him to sleep in a bassinet by the bed (around 7:00), then bring him into bed the first time he wakes (usually around midnight).

As for the swing, does she fall asleep in the swing and then you put her in bed, or does she fall asleep in bed on her own? Or does she sleep in the swing during the day? Are you home with her all day? You could try a sling or a carrier - like a Kozy or Hug a Bub - to get her to sleep. Same concept as a swing, but she's on you instead. That might let her transition down eventually.

~marissa

TraciG
02-18-2004, 02:00 PM
If we try to move Sydney after she's asleep from our bed she wakes up, maybe we should wait longer, problem is by then i'm asleep ! She sleeps in the swing in the day ,that's where she naps, at night she sleeps when we go to bed, she falls asleep nursing or sucking. how long do u plan on having your son with u in bed ?

thanks for answering i'm also going to post on baby bargains

HelenD
02-18-2004, 02:59 PM
I had similar problems, and I've been trying some of the tips found in Elizabeth Pantley's _The No Cry Sleep Solution_.

It's worth getting from your local library. (BTW, my local library has a membership on netlibrary which has this book available online - so I got to read it at work).

I've been using the tips from this book for about a week and have noticed some really good changes in her sleep patterns in teh right direction! It's not an over night solution, but it does seem to work!

TraciG
02-18-2004, 07:50 PM
OK so I should get the book u mentioned & the Ferber book & Weissbluth-Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, guess i'll have to sign up at the library !!!!!!!

aggie202
02-23-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm dealing with the exact same problem--my son's 4 months old and LOVES the swing.

I just bought the Weissbluth book and am halfway thru it. It seems to have some good ideas that could involve some crying but nothing that appears too harsh.

As far as I can tell, he suggests establishing a "soothing" routine to calm the baby that is consistant for each sleeptime. . .and putting the baby to sleep in the crib--not the stroller, carseat, etc.

He also makes suggestions regarding the "crying it out" phase and offers a few options so that if you can't quite stomach the "cold turkey" method, you'll still be able to follow his guidelines.

Good luck to you!