PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping well, but doesn't like the crib at night....

jerseygirl07067
02-26-2004, 06:10 PM
DD is 9 weeks this week and over the past several weeks her uninterupted night sleep is gradually increasing. This week we've been getting her to sleep by 11 and she is not waking up until a bit after 6am (yipee!) She has been sleeping in our room since the beginning in the pack and play bassinet. About two weeks ago she became more comfortable sleeping in her crib for naps. We swaddle her every night and for naps which I think helps GREATLY. We had been using the 5 S's (ala Dr. Karp -Happiest Baby on the Block) for nighttime sleep but have been weaning those gradually with success.

So last night we decided to put her in the crib for nighttime using the exact same routine, swaddling, dimming lights, noise, etc.. I even put something in the crib that "smells of me". She seemed to fall asleep like the usual way but then woke up five minutes later loudly crying. I waited to see if she would settle back down (as sometimes she does this and falls right back to sleep) but she didn't. So I made sure she was dry, not hungry, etc. etc. and tried again. After three times of this I gave up since I was so afraid of ruining the satisfying 7 hours. When I put her in the bassinet again, she cried once but for like 20-30 seconds, then fell back asleep for 7 hours.

I am concerned that she might be associating the crib with naps. Or that I by giving in it will send her the wrong message. I definitely think she knows the difference, we watched her turn and look around on the video monitor and it seemed like she realized she was in a different place. The room in both situations is kept dark with just a peep of light from the closed bathroom door.

I would apprciate any suggestions. I would like to accomplish this soon as I fear that as her vision improves and she becomes more aware of her environment, this feat will become harder.

Thanks,
Mary

Kieransmom
02-29-2004, 06:44 PM
At 9 weeks you still have plenty of time to get her to sleep in her crib. If she's not ready don't make her. Just keep trying. Eventually she will surprise you. My son was 6 months before he would sleep in his crib but now he's happy as a clam in it. I look back on the stress I put myself through because the "books" said it was the end of the world if he wasn't sleeping in his crib.
Society puts such pressure on us mom's to do this and do that and it causes much more stress to us than we need. Enjoy your baby and don't worry! She'll be fine!
Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

jerseygirl07067
02-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your input ! I agree with you on the books! They seem to create more stress by telling you you "have" to do it this way or that way, etc.etc.

Mary