PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! 2 1/2 mth old won't sleep in crib

ttiger72
02-27-2004, 09:34 PM
My Son is 2 1/2 mths old and won't sleep in his crib. He will sleep fine in his swing, esp if it's on, but refuses to sleep in his crib. You put him in the crib and in 10 mins he is SCREAMING!!! I have read Ferber and Weissbluth and am as confused as hell. My wife and I have no idea what to do, is he to young to CIO or is he old enough to CIO. You can't tell from reading Weissbluth and Ferber says 6mths to be able to soothe himself. Our pediatrician told us to get him in the crib and let him cry, and that was at 2mths. He doesn't take naps very well, like no more than 20-30min the majority of time. He sometimes will take the 1-2 hours nap but that is rare. He won't take a pacifier at all, so that's not helping us.

Thoughts....PLEASE

Frustrated Father

hobey
02-27-2004, 10:30 PM
I feel your frustration. Our son is the same age and has just started sleeping in his crib for naps and the first part of the night. We used a combo of a pack & play bassinet in our room and co-sleeping to this point and we bring him into our room and put him in his bassinet after his night feeding.

He is too young to CIO at this point. Both Ferber & Weissbluth recommend sleep training when babies have already learned to self-sooth. Have you looked at Harvey Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" book? He has good recommendations for soothing newborns/young infants using the 5 S's: 1. Suck (on your finger or pacifier), 2. Swaddle (a really tight swaddle helps many babies), 3. Shh (either a shushing sound or soft singing), 4. Swing, 5. Side (Hold him on his side until he falls asleep). I wouldn't worry too much about his swing sleeping right now--anything to make sure you & your wife get sleep but you could try Dr. Karp's suggestions beginning w/ naps in the crib.

The one thing that made the transition to the crib easier for us was switching from percale to flannel sheets and using a heating pad on the sheets before putting him down. The shock of the cold sheets woke DS up every time until we started warming them. Now he can be put down for a good 3-4 hour stretch.

Also, you can do a search in the regular Baby Bargains board for sleep suggestions that were posted previously.

HTH

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

COElizabeth
02-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I know several babies who slept better in reclined positions (swings, car seats, bouncy seats) than in cribs for the first few months. My DS slept better in his car seat until he was about 3 months old. At that time he started to squirm out, so I put him in the crib and had no problems with that transition. I second the previous poster's suggestions about swaddling, warming the mattress, etc. We started swaddling DS again at about 3 months, and it helped a lot for a month or so.

I think that most of the "sleep experts" - even the ones who favor CIO - do not recommend the CIO method of sleep training until the baby is 6 months old or so. Also, I've read more than once that responding to a baby quickly in the first few months actually promotes less crying later on. I personally would switch pediatricians if one told me just to let a 2 month old baby cry for long periods of time without trying to comfort him.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of reflux. Some babies who have trouble sleeping lying flat are in pain. If you notice that your son hates to be lying down or held "like a baby," arches his back a lot, or cries soon after eating, those could be signs that he is in pain and might benefit from medication and other measures to reduce the reflux problem.

Hang in there. I hope that you find some solutions that work for you and your DS! It will get better!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Kieransmom
02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
We had the same problem too. My son was about 6 months old and STILL not sleeping in the crib. He had no trouble if we laid him in our bed which happened to have flannel sheets. I searched for flannel crib sheets and found a set from Pottery Barn. It may be coincidence, but ever since the night we put those things on the bed he's slept there!
Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03