PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old can roll over one way but not the other

Jonah Michael
03-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Jonah is almost 6 months old. We are used to putting him down to sleep when he's still awake. He spends some time playing and then falls asleep on his own. Recently, he has learned to "flip" while he's playing in his crib; he turns over onto his stomach. He's not content to sleep in this position because it's the opposite of what he's used to. He cries, we respond, and we flip him back over. This process has continued for quite some time recently. The more he cries, the more awake he becomes, and the more awake he is, the more he's not settled, and if he's not settled, he plays and turns over immediately when we lie him down.

And yet we can't get him to "flip" back to where he came from.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a short phase until he learns to turn over both ways? Any suggestions?

He seems so frustrated-- as if he's saying "How did I get here?"

Simply turning him back over doesn't do us any good though because he's still awake and he'll turn over again immediately. We're finding that we have to rock him to sleep and place him in his crib when he's soundly sleeping. This defeats all the sleep training we've done up until this point. Am I being too uptight? I have a tendency to do that!

Traci
Jonah 9/22/03

lmariana
03-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I totally understand! Our Gabriel does the exact same thing, just in opposite directions! He's a tummy sleeper and can roll over onto his back, but not back to his tummy! We just end up flipping him over, tucking a blanket around him and putting a stuffed animal next to him. The blanket inhibits some movement, and the toy prevents the full flip. :)

I know the SIDS alliance would have a heart attack with my tummy sleeping, blanket wearing, toy hugging baby, but heck...it works! I've found that the Halo Sleepsack inhibits a bit of movement too. At 7 mo. the mid-sleep flipping is slowing down, but now he does it when he's just not sleepy anymore and is ready to play.

You're not alone!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003