PDA

View Full Version : 9 weeks & desperate..

cpmwatson
04-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Maggie just turned 9 weeks old but my husband and I are turning on each other. Maggie fights sleep :( Her eyes get red then she begins to cry. Her crying can not be soothed until her next feeding.
Is there anything that can help? I am willing to try anything (except Dr Sears method of wearing her all day).
I would like to nip this in the bud before I am writing again in 5 months.
thankx
cm

kitmama
04-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Have you read Dr. Karp's "The Happiest Baby on the Block"? He has a combination of soothing techniques that he calls the 'cuddle cure'. It involves swaddling your baby, holding her on her side or stomach, swinging or jiggling her, and giving her something to suck on while you simultaneously say "shhhh" loudly by her ear. It sounds complex, but it's really not and once you get the hang of it, it works!

Even if it doesn't put your little darling to sleep right away, it should soothe her crying and calm her down.

cpmwatson
04-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Thankx for the suggestion. Thing are slowly getting better (calmer)w/ those techniques.

SzennyBoy
04-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi there,
Been a long while since I visited this site but I'll add to this thread based on our personal experience...

My wife and I had this same problem with Annamaria from Week 5 onwards and we too got over it by using the swaddling, swaying and humming/shushing technique. One thing to note though is that this technique becomes harder to implement the older the baby gets (AM is now 8 months)... when they get stronger and start to fight and wriggle out of the swaddling cloth/blanket whenever the opportunity presents itself, even while asleep! The best way we found was to swaddle her to start but once she's asleeep in the arms and we put her down into her cot, we loosen the swaddling cloth/blanket a bit so that she can comfortable adjust herself while asleep without feeling over restricted and "tied-up".