PDA

View Full Version : sleep

Stow
06-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Help. My 7 week old daughter will not sleep unless she is held or in bed with me. I also have a 2 year old son so holding her all day just doesn't work. I'm always telling my DS to shush, so she can sleep. The minute I lay her down she wakes up and cries. Everything I've read in Weissenbluth talks about waiting till they're 4 months old to do anything. I'm not sure we can hold out much longer. Any ideas on how to get her to sleep on her own?

Shannon
mom of Ella 7wks, Andrew 26 months

Rikkele
06-27-2004, 03:19 PM
I knowit's been awhile but just saw your post and wondered if you had solved your sleep problem with DD. My DD is 6wks old and we have same problem. She was previously sleeping well and taking naps and then all of a sudden decided she would only sleep if I was holding her or in her sling. this has been extremely exhausting for me and just wondered if they will grow out of this or if you had figured out and "tricks" to get DD to sleep on her own.

Stow
06-27-2004, 10:39 PM
sorry I don't have any big tips. My daughter is finally sleeping in the crib at night. I just spent a couple nights putting her in the crib and if she would wake up I would just pat her or rock her and put her back down. It was a couple of long nights but after a week she was doing much better. I still hold her or put her in the swings for naps as I haven't been up to tackling that yet. Hope you are having better luck I know it's tough.

bluhimmy
10-07-2004, 04:14 AM
Just wanted to check-in whether or not you have found a solution to the sleep problem.

My DS is 8 weeks, and we're having almost the same problem, except DS will only sleep in my arms. Sleeping next to me is not an option for him. We had purchased a co-sleeper, hoping it would solve our problem, but it didn't work. We've also tried everything from swaddling to carseats and swings, nothing worked. We're hoping he'll grow out of it, but I don't think that's realistic; plus, it's a gamble.

Any advice?

MeredithsMom
10-15-2004, 02:15 PM
We had this exact problem!!! The first week Meredith only slept in my arms or on top of the Boppy, which was on top of my lap. I slept sitting up for a whole week, which doesn't exactly feel good after giving birth as you know!

From weeks 2-6 she would only sleep next to me in the bed, and she had to be asleep before we hit the sheets. My back was getting so uncomfortable from the position I had to maintain while sleeping with her.

We finally bought an Amby Baby Hammock after reading the testimonials online (www.ambybaby.com). It seemed that many people had similar situations with their babies and the babies took to the Amby. Though it was $230 (and we already had a bassinet AND a crib), we bought the Amby. Meredith loves it! Not only will she sleep in it, but she will fall asleep in it as we gently bounce the spring at the top. We got it just in the nick of time too, since now she will rarely fall asleep while being walked around (her previous routine). She is 9 weeks now.

I realize that this requires more cash, but I can tell you my baby wouldn't sleep anywhere else before we got the Amby, not even when we had the bassinet in co-sleeper mode and I was halfway in the darned thing with her!

Good luck.