PDA

View Full Version : No One is sleeping anymore, I need help

Bridget
06-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi all. No one is sleeping at my house anymore. My 5 mo. old daughter has started to roll from her back onto her belly at night! Once she's on her belly she dosn't know how to roll back and she cries and cries waking us all up. I try just turning her back over onto her back, but usually she is too awake by this point and she keeps rolling over. Last night my husband and I were up 2 1/2 hours before we got her into a deep enough sleep that she would stay on her back. She had been sleeping well through the night from approx 10 weeks old. What can I do?

Regards,
Bridget

Mom to Amy Grace 1/9/04

djjpgrace
06-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Have you tried the sleep positioners? that might keep her on her back. I dont' know really since my daughter (5 months also) prefers to sleep on her stomach. Once she learned to roll over you can't keep her on her back especially when she is sleeping. The positioners will keep her from rolling at least.
Donna Jo
mom to Julianna 1-13-04

NoAngel
07-08-2004, 02:41 AM
My DD just started doing this, too.

Thanks for the sleep positioner idea - I'll have to dig it out and put it to use again!

I hope it works!

jacksmomtobe
08-09-2004, 10:54 AM
I am having a similiar experience with my son who is 4 1/2mo. He knows how to roll from back to tummy on the gymini mat but he is still sleeping in the pnp basinett until we move and his crib can be delivered to our new house (9/1), the pnp does not seem from enough for him to roll but he keeps trying and is getting frustrated. I've debated removing the basinett and having him sleep in the playard figuring it might be firmer but think that might kill my back.

-Kim

jacksmomtobe
08-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I got interrupted by ds when writing my original message. I am having a similiar experience with my son who is 4 1/2mo. He knows how to roll from back to tummy on the gymini mat but he is still sleeping in the pnp basinett until we move and his crib can be delivered to our new house (9/1), the pnp does not seem firm enough for him to roll but he keeps trying and is getting frustrated. I've debated removing the basinett and having him sleep in the playard figuring it might be firmer but think that might kill my back. He mastered rolling from his tummy to his back but is still working on the other way. When he got meaured by a NP while we were on vacation he was in a lower percentile than before though she said he was still in an acceptable range. Now I've been feeding him when he wakes up and have been struggling with whether I'm doing the right thing there..since I don't want him to need bf'ing in order to go back to sleep but also worry that he has slipped a bit in growth. He was such a good sleeper and napper up until now and I don't want to start bad habits but feel torn on how to handle this. Someone in my Mom's group was told by their Pediatrician if her child flips to his stomach to leave him. I plan on discussing our issue with our Ped but our visit was delayed due to our vacation and the Ped's vacation. I would be interested to hear if the sleep positioner helped or not. I'm wondering if in my case whether it would since my son's issue seems to derive from his frustration on not being able to turn.

Thanks for listening!
Kim

kbyrne
08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
I am having the same problem with my 3.5 mo old. However she also sleeps on her stomach and rolls over to her back. She used to sleep about 10 hours/night and now none of us are sleeping. On Saturday night she rolled over about 5 times and we kept rolling her back over so we could get some sleep. Last night she got so upset that the only way to get her back to sleep was a bottle. I'm exhausted and don't know what to do. I think I'll try the sleep positioner tonight. I was at the ped today and he had nothing to say about it. Basically that happens and soon enough she'll be rolling all over the place and she'll get used to sleeping in different positions. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one going through this!
Take care,
Keri

mudder17
08-18-2004, 09:02 AM
DD did this around 4.5 months, when we were about 1.5 weeks into sleep training! She had successfully rolled back onto her back, but only occasionally, and possibly accidentally. The point is that she could easily figure out how to roll onto her stomach, but then afterwards, she would act like she couldn't get back and she would get all upset. We were in th middle of the sleep training business and we had a video monitor that showed us what was making her so upset. So the first couple of times we rolled her back, but then we saw her immediately roll onto her stomach and repeat the process. At that point we knew it would become a game for her, so we stopped and watched her. Eventually after she fussed and cried and screamed and complained, she stopped, looked around a little in the stomach position, and then fell asleep! The next night she did the same thing, but this time she fussed for about 10 minutes, gave up and went to sleep. After that, she ended up preferring to sleep on the stomach position and we now lay her down in that position.

When we mentioned this to our LC (who runs our new mothers (and fathers) support group), she said that yes, it definitely becomes a game for the baby if you keep on going in an "fixing" the problem. So as heartbreaking as it was for us to watch her struggle that first night, it ended up being the right thing for us to do.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif Breastfed 3 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

ErinP
08-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Wow! I was just going to post a question to find out when the right time to let a baby sleep on their stomach is! My DS is a Great sleeper- 7:30 pm to 6:45 am like clockwork since 8 weeks old! He started rolling over from stomach to back at 12 weeks old, but this week he mastered rolling from back to stomach. During the day he SCREAMS when he's on his stomach and will not roll over to his back as if he's forgot how to do it.. At night when I put him down on his back he rolls right over to his stomach and falls fast asleep- until I go in about 20 times during the night and disturb him by rolling him to his back. Should I just let him sleep on his stomach? I tried the wedge, but he was moving so much and not sleeping well, so I gave up on that idea. Just wondering if 3 1/2 months is too early to let him sleep on his tummy!
Erin