PDA

View Full Version : What is normal? Seeking advice for my basic questions.

newcamom
06-21-2004, 12:45 AM
Hi all,
My 2 1/2 (almost 3 month) DD never took a pacifier and now we put her to sleep on her back in a sleep sack at 8pm. She just started rolling to her R side (always) and sucks on her fingers until falling asleep.
I have several questions:
1. Is it OK to leave her in this position all night or should I use the sleep positioner blocks we used until a couple weeks ago (that prevent her from rolling).
2. Does the recent sucking mean she's teething (doubt?) or that she discovered her fingers?
3. She wakes at 3am and 5:30-6am, both to feed. The baby 411 book says to get her into a routine by 3-4 months and I'm going back to work in 2 weeks. Is it too early to offer her water or try to console her without feeds at the 3am waking?? (ie can I try to get her to sleep thru night this soon?) Ferber book doesn't mention anything about this age group.
4. I sometimes swaddle her if she doesn't go down easy and this can help get her to sleep. Is it bad to trade off between swaddling and sleep sacks?
Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, etc!!

djjpgrace
06-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi,
I am no expert since I have only one daughter, but our doctor said that it is fine for her to sleep on her side or stomach once she rolls there herself. I was concerned about that also. My daughter won't sleep on her back now (5 months). She also would never sleep with those sleep positioners. I think the sucking on her fingers is because she has just discovered them. YOu will find that she will start sucking on any and everything that comes near her mouth now. If it gets to her sleep then I don't see a problem with it! I don't know about the feeding issue though. I don't think there is any problem with switching between sleep sacks and swaddling. My daughter liked neither and sleeps in something different every night! Hope this might help

Donna Jo

masha12
08-27-2004, 12:37 AM
(1) Nothing wrong with baby sleeping on her side. Ours did for about a month but now she prefers her back.
(2) Finger sucking probably means she has discovered her fingers.
(3) ask your Dr. about water. I believe it is not recommended because babies eat so little that everything that goes in them should have "nutritional value." However, I do not know the age at which water is OK. If you are breastfeeding, those 2 feedings are probably needed.
(4) We have alternated between swaddling and sleep sacks without any problem. If she is sleeping well, don't worry about it.