PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Baby won't nap in his crib!!!

JodiBodi
09-01-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi. I need some advice in getting my 5 month old baby to nap in his crib. He does sleep in his crib at night, and luckily sleeps through the night. However, during the day, he will only fall asleep when moving in the stroller, riding in the car, or while nursing in my arms. He immediately awakens as soon as I put him down in his crb. Is this a common problem? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Jodi
mommy to Zachary
3/21/04

NewMom1212
10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Oh, I feel your pain! I had a harder time getting Daniel to nap in his crib that I did getting him to sleep through the night! Honestly - it sucked - but I let him cry it out. I tried the Ferber method but I found that checking on him made him scream harder, louder, and longer. And yes, he threw up once. But just keep telling yourself that you are doing what is best for him - and believe me it is what is best. Let him scream for one hour - then naptime is over. If he crashes when you try to nurse him later, then I'd either transfer him to the crib (if he wakes, so be it, it isn't naptime anyway) or gently wake him to play. I know it sounds mean, but it only took 2-3 days for Daniel to get the hang of it. He'd still cry a little, but it wasn't a hard cry and it was only for 10 minutes max. After a few weeks, no crying at all. The payoff is huge, but yes, you will feel like a terrible mother for a few days;).

Good luck and be strong!

EllenSK
10-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm more flexible and let my 4.5 month old nap where she likes. When she's really riled up, I have a good bit of luck just lying on my bed with her and then I get up when she falls asleep (she can't roll over yet, but you could do this on the floor). Sometimes it can be hard to get children down without a routine, so if this is important to you, you should develop a nap routine just like you probably have a bedtime one.