PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 mnth old slept thru the night but now????

artc1
09-19-2004, 04:39 AM
Hi there~ I am at a loss, I understand that sickness and growth can undermine a good sleeper ... now, I also know that I am probably jumping the gun on this but...
My dd is 4.5 mnths old and has been sleeping from 7:30pmish to 7amish for a long while know. We had some adjustment when I went back to work and for a month it has been great with her going to sleep about the same time, waking her at 5:30am to feed, letting her go back to sleep and then waking her about 7 to go to grammy's for the day.
Now, she was sick a few weeks ago (Roseola)and has recently mastered rolling from back to belly... and since then she has been waking during the night (first few nights it was often due to the fever I think and I fed her because I wanted her fluid intake to be up to fight it off)
Now she is waking up at 2amish EVERY night fussing. I try to let her soothe herself but she seems to get too worked up so after about 10 min of wailing I try to soothe her in the crib, rubbing her belly or head lightly and shhhing.
She is getting to the point that this isn't working. She raises her feet and slams them down on the bed after I think she is out. She tries to roll half heartedly alot.
I am at a loss... why is it getting worse?? and what can I do about it?
Thanks for any input

EllenSK
10-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm having the same problem. DD now 4.5 months is waking every night between 10-12 screaming like a banshee. She eats for a bit goes back to screaming. All we have found that works is either carrying her around or putting a baby video. She was a great sleeper (starting sleeping through the night before she was 2 months old). She is usually down between 8:30 and 9 and doesn't awaken until around 7. I know she wakes up and settles herself down at other times and has for months so what is different now? (She has had a cold that she's recovering from). Help!!!!!!!!

NewMom1212
10-07-2004, 04:02 PM
My son did the same thing at about this age. It's hard, but quickly peek in to make sure there is nothing wrong (arm/leg caught in the slats was Daniel's favorite) and then a quick kiss before your exit. Then, let them cry it out. Daniel figured out what to do quickly and never cried for very long - maybe 10-15 minutes. He also had nightmares sometimes I think. Your reaction should depend on how regularly it is happening. Every once-in-a-while... I'd offer more soothing and a thorough head-to-toe check. Every night at the same time - baby has just formed a habit of waking and knows how to get you to come in and play. For that - I'd just let her wail for as long as you can both take it. She should get back on track in as little as 2-3 nights.

Hope this helps. And kudos for teaching your little how to sleep on their own from the start!