PDA

View Full Version : Help: baby doesn't nap well with nanny

Kerstin
09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi,
I couldn't find an answer to my question, that's why I am posting it now here.
I have a 7 mo. old son who has been a good sleeper and napper for the first six months. Now that I returned back to work two weeks ago he doesn't nap well any more and wakes up at 5.30 am instead of 7.00 am.:-( In the beginning he was even waking up every hour or so at night - which stopped now (more or less):-)
Is that normal and does he just need to adjust to his new routine? How can I help him and his nanny to improve his naps? (He is pretty much on a schedule and I - most of the time - only need to put him down and that's it). He sees its nanny at a friend's house and therefore also has to deal with a new environement.
Do you have any similar experiences?
Any advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kerstin

NewMom1212
10-07-2004, 04:10 PM
My son did the same thing, only with his Grandma. A couple of suggestions...

Make sure Nanny knows his routine to a T.
Maybe reaffirm his routine a little by reading the exact same book or singing the exact same song everytime he goes to sleep (including bedtime) whether is comes from you or Nanny.
Make sure he has a lovey - he's old enough now to sleep with a special blanket or toy. It's best if the lovey is a sleep-time only toy so that the connection between it and relaxation is there.
Make sure he has his own place to sleep and other kids don't nap there too. I would think it would be harder for him to nap on a bed with other kids' smells, toys, etc. in it. And I'd try to re-create the same naptime atmosphere he has at home... lights off, fan on, blinds closed, etc.
Finally, I'd try to visit your Nanny's house on a day when you aren't working and YOU put him down for a nap OVER THERE. I think this really sealed the deal for Daniel.
Oh - and give it time. This is a BIG change for him.

Hope that helps - good luck.

Kerstin
10-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Thank you so much,

I'll try next monday - it's Columbus Day, so I don't work and will be able to put him down to sleep there. He has his own bed there but his nanny sometimes puts him to sleep on the couch, etc.... :-( So I guess I have to be really "strict" with her, too - and it's even dangerous!!!!

Thanks again for your advice,
Kerstin