PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Help for Father!

cj
10-11-2004, 03:20 AM
Hi,

My wife is going on a business trip for 2 days. The last time she went on a trip (3 weeks ago) I had a difficult time putting our 15mo. old daughter to sleep. She cried for over 2 hrs straight, wanted mommy and only past out because of sheer exhaustion. Our typical routine is bath, bottle, books and lie down on the bed with her (usually both of us).

It was difficult to watch her cry and call for mommy.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would help us with bedtime without momma?

Any help would be appreciated!

CJ

jillc
10-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi CJ,

I don't know that I can be of much help, as my daughter is just 6 months old, so I haven't really had much experience with little ones around your daughter's age, but here are my thoughts anyway...

Maybe you should have a few "dress rehersals" before your wife leaves for her trip. Since you said that both you & your wife are usually part of the bedtime routine, maybe try gradually phasing your wife out of the equation... have her stay close by in the room with you, but you mainly run the show. I'm thinking that every few nights, if this goes well, you could have your wife gradually move further away until she's sitting in the doorway, and then finally, out of the room. Maybe this would kind of ease your daughter into the idea that Mommy doesn't have to be there all the time.

At any rate, best of luck to all of you. Crossing my fingers for ya. :)

Jill