PDA

View Full Version : normal napping for 5 month old

sjk
10-28-2004, 05:15 PM
I am having trouble getting my 5 month old to nap for an extended period of time. He usually goes to sleep easily but will only sleep for 45 minutes tops! Never more. It is very strange, like he has a little alarm clock in his head. He sleeps well at night going down at 6:30 to 7 and waking at 7 with one wake up for feeding. I know I can't complain (doctor's advice) but he is so grouchy during the day. He wakes from naps crying and he used to let me pat him back but no more. Now he just wants up. I read Weisbluth but can't see any info about short naps. Anyone have any advice? Any similar situations?
Thanks,
Sam
mommy to Owen

induetime
10-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Mine does 30 minute naps three times per day. The only way I can get her to extend them is to have her sleep on a real bed, not in her crib. Maybe because it's more .... cushy? (I know, back to sleep, hard mattress, etc, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.)

simba
11-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Weissbluth says that all naps over 40 minutes are actually restorative naps, therefore acceptable. Some kids are just like that, he says, and you cannot do much to change that. Weissbluth also says that you can try, when he wakes up, to quickly and briefly him sooth him back to sleep, or to leave him in his crib until one hour is up, even if he cries. I know that book inside out as I keep on re-reading the "4-12 months section" in order to find the courage and motivation to let my baby CIO!!!!!
Silvana
Mom of Luca
May 30th 2004

christie699
12-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Has it always been this way? Always waking at 45 mins? He could just be hungry - going through a growth spurt.

I kept my son on a pretty good schedule...eat, play, sleep, all in about 3 - 4 hours, then do it all over again. Sometimes he slept longer, sometimes shorter. Is there noise in the house waking him up? If that's a possibility, try a sound machine with white noise. My son used to wake up early sometimes if the dog walked by his bedroom (clack clack clack on the hardwood floor). A sound machine is like magic. The routine is like magic, too. I'm amazed at how happy and even-tempered my son is, and I really think it's because he's on a schedule with his feedings AND naps.

If your son is crying and grouchy, that's a sure sign that he's not getting enough sleep. He's gotten used to you coming in whenever he starts crying. You may cringe to read this (it's one of the hardest things to do!), but you may just have to let him CRY IT OUT and fall back asleep. You may get another 1/2 hour or so out of him, which will make an amazing difference.

You are a lucky mommy with a boy who sleeps a good 12 hours at night...but I know the days can be tough if he's a grouchy little man...

downwarddog
12-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi Sam,
My DD is 10 wks old & does the same thing, usually (for naps, not the night sleeping -- you lucky devil!). I find that if I sling her for a nap, she'll sleep almost 2 hrs! If I can't sling her, I do try her crib (& swaddle her) which works sometimes, & sometimes putting her in her car seat or swing will give her 1+ hr naps. Otherwise, she's so grumpy too!

Do what works for you guys. Sometimes if my DD falls asleep on my shoulder, I'll put her down on her stomach in her crib or on my bed if I'm in the room w/her. She wakes less because her arms & legs can't flail about.

Also, try putting him down BEFORE he starts getting grumpy. Look for that telltale sign (more frowns, a yawn, etc) that there's a HINT of sleepiness & then make everything conducive to sleep so that he just slides almost effortlessly into his nap.

Good luck!
~Lenore
Mom to Cadi, DOB 9/28/04