PDA

View Full Version : 4 month old will only sleep in car seat

naiad_627
12-31-2004, 11:15 PM
I have a 4 month old son who sleeps in his car seat all the time - at night and for naps. It started when he was about 1-2 months old and was very colicky, and we could only get him to sleep in the car seat, with a baby comforter over his lap. He was also prone to vomiting, so it was better to keep him semi-upright, we liked the flexibility that he could co-sleep in the bed with me or we could move him to his crib (still in the car seat).

However, now he will ONLY sleep in his car seat. Is this bad for his physical development? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
First Time Worried Mom

WooChx
01-12-2005, 04:39 PM
You should talk to your doctor about how to help your son overcome this issue. It will only get worse and there are studies out suggesting that too much time spent in car seats (that position) can cause a curviture of the spine. I'm sure you have done no harm at this point. Not to mention what will you do when he no longer fits in the car seat?

Nicodemus
01-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi,
My son also slept in his car seat for 4 1/2 months. He cried a lot if I tried to move him to a crib. It worked because I got some much-needed sleep. We finally used the Ferber method with him when he was almost 5 months and it was worked very very well. By the third night, he was sleeping 11 hours! What a dream. I would highly recommend that you purchase the book and follow it. Our son now takes two naps in his crib (average length is 1-2 hours) and he sleeps 11-12 hours each night. He rarely protest when placed in the crib now (he's almost 6 months). It was worked out very well and I never thought it would. I put him in his crib while he is still awake (usually drowsy). He sucks his thumb and rolls over to sleep. Good luck!

Diane