PDA

View Full Version : Started crawling, stopped sleeping--HELP!

mullerck
02-01-2005, 12:04 AM
DD just mastered crawling, and has stopped sleeping. She keeps crawling around the crib, and then sitting and crying--almost like she can't lay back down. I go in every so often to soothe her and lay her back down, but she's been crying through her whole "nap-hour", so eventually I take her out un-napped.
For a little history, once we implemented Dr. Wiessbluth's HSHHC, she was napping pretty regularly. We did CIO a few months ago when she started more sleeping troubles. (It was really hard, and took about 2 weeks of crying several hours a night.)
So since she's not sleeping well again again, we're trying CIO again, but it breaks my heart to hear her cry, so CIO isn't going to work very long.
BTW, DD seems to be teething also, but I've been giving her Tylenol, so it shouldn't be "pain" that is keeping her up, right?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

http://lilypie.com/pic/050109/ac2a96d.jpg
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050522/2/13/1/-8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

audys
02-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Hang in there - we went with extinction (Weissbluth) and our son did have problems sleeping again with each milestone. When he learned to stand, he couldn't seem to sit down for a while and sleep was off again.

He returned to good sleep with consistent handling though and now sleeps through the night and naps well.

My son has 9 teeth now - I do think he wakes more when a tooth breaks through the gum but he goes back to sleep on his own.

Take care,

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)

butterflyjen
06-17-2005, 06:09 AM
I see that you posted this a few months ago - how long did it take for your DD to snap out of this habit? Our DD just started doing this last night and it's so frustrating. What did you do to help her at night?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

mullerck
06-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Congratulations, and much commiseration for reaching this stage!
DD worked through it within a week or two (my mind is fuzzy these days!).
My strategy (if you can call it that!) was to let her cry for a pre-determined time, 5 or 10 minutes, and then go in and help her to lay down. I would keep the room lights off, turn on her crib toy (fischer-price aquarium) with music and light, and shh her while laying her back down. My main thing was to be consistent in not playing or picking her up when I went in, becuase I didn't want her to think "sleep-time" was over yet.
But, for the naps, she definitely cried through several (I would get her up after an hour with a cheery "How are you? Are you ready to come play!?"), but then I would re-try the nap again about an hour later, and she was so tired she'd sleep.
I feel your frustration (like it was yesterday!), and it will get better. Can you and your partner switch nights for attending DD so you can get some sleep?
Hang in there!

mykidsmom
07-16-2005, 01:16 PM
I was SO happy to read this post. I am dealing with this problem as we speak and thought it was just MY baby. She is 8 months old and has been crawling for the past 3 weeks. All of the sudden for the past week, she does not want to take her morning nap. (night time sleep luckily has not changed and she goes to bed easily).

SO, she refuses her 9am nap and either skips it all together, or takes it during her normal awake time, which really messes up our day and any plans we may have had. I pray this is just another phase! I was starting to think she was needing more awake time before that first nap. I just don't know what to do other then hope this passes and she goes back to her regular nap schedule!

ericher
09-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Any more advice from those of you who have been through this? Our son has been "Weissbluthed" and sleeps well at night, although he's a rather early riser (5 or 5:30) that nothing we have tried (later bedtime, earlier bedtime, shorter naps, darkened shades, etc.) has changed.

Since serious crawling and standing began a few weeks ago (he's almost ten months) his naps have been blown to heck, especially the afternoon nap. We've tried putting him down earlier (12:30) or later (2:00) but inevitably he will remain awake in his crib for at least an hour, no matter HOW exhausted he seemed the minutes before we put him down.

Today he was not only awake and crawling and playing in his crib from 1:00 onward, he began screaming and howling as well, and it took extra-long for him to settle. We have tried moving his bedtime super early (5:45) as W. suggests, which seems okay, he is tired and falls asleep easily and has stopped waking at night which he did a few times. But his drawn-out afternoon naps remain a major problem. Not only does he often cry a bit during the settling period, he also often wakes up crying and upset, unlike when he wakes happy in the morning.

Can I really hope this is a phase which will pass? It's been going on for several weeks now. How fondly I recall when he was 8 months and was a perfect napper for all of two weeks.... went down at 9 and 1 like a little clock, but best of all was very content and a pleasure to be with (not that they're not always a pleasure, but you know what I mean.)

Any help or hope would be so appreciated.

Elise

smzapalac
09-16-2005, 09:18 AM
My DD is 7 months old and going through the same thing as these other mommies have described. Is there anyone out there that can offer more advice as to what to do to get our kids through this phase? Also, if anyone could let us know how long this phase lasts we would greatly appreciate it. Knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel makes things a bit easier. Any advice is welcome. Please help!

butterflyjen
09-16-2005, 09:40 AM
For us, DD was over this within two weeks. Yes, they were two very long weeks, but it's a light at the end of the tunnel nonetheless. :)

I don't know what your sleep methods are, but with DD, we had to just keep going back in there, laying her back down, and leaving the room. She would cry and cry, but there was no other way. If we stayed and tried to calm her down, it just made it so much worse. So we'd go in, lay her down, say "night night" and leave (then watch from the doorway as she did it all over again). Eventually she got it, and now (at 13 mos) she can move all over her crib, all night long, and not wake up (or can re-settle herself).

Hope this passes quickly for you!

smzapalac
09-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Thank you so much. I am glad to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I think I will just need to hang in there the next couple of weeks and hope and pray we get back to some sort of schedule. Hopefully I can stay sane :-) Thanks again for your feedback!