PDA

View Full Version : Rolling over onto side...

meshell
04-10-2005, 04:05 AM
Help! My 5-day old infant is very active, and manages to kick and wiggle himself onto his side while sleeping. We put him down on his back, only to find him rolled over onto his side. We reposition him, and a few minutes later, he's on his side again! I'm totally freaked out and scared by SIDS! Would a sleep positioner work? I'm afraid he'll still manage to find a way to turn on his side and smother his face in the side wedge!

sarahsthreads
05-01-2005, 08:00 PM
I know you posted this a couple of weeks ago - how are things going?

My daughter did this as well - pretty much from day 1 - and nothing bad happened. Actually, once we figured out that she wanted to sleep that way, we started putting her on her side to sleep. We would put her bottom arm out straight from her body, so she couldn't accidentally roll onto her tummy.

I think the main concern with SIDS is if they're on their tummy to sleep.

The worry won't stop, though. I spend a whole night turning her from her tummy to her back the first night she learned how to roll completely over at 4 months. The nurse at the pediatrician's office laughed when I called the next morning and said once they roll there's no way to stop them, and at that point it's OK for them to sleep however they want.

Just make sure there's no soft bedding or blankets for him to get his face into and you'll be all set.

Good luck!
Sarah :)