PDA

View Full Version : Going from 2 naps to 1. HELP!

amck
07-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on this? I've read Weisbluth's opinions on this. He suggests shortening the a.m. nap so DC will take a longer p.m nap.

Here's my problem: DD (15 mos) wants to take a really long a.m. nap it seems. I've tried waking her gently after about 40 minutes in the a.m. so she'll take a longer p.m. nap, but her p.m. nap isn't so long. Then she's just downright crabby @ the end of the day.

What if I let DD take a long a.m. nap and a short p.m. nap, with the goal of moving the a.m. nap back 15 minutes or so every couple of days until she's finally napping at noon or so, at which point we can eliminate the short p.m. nap. It's kindof the opposite of what he suggests, but not every kid is going to fit his mold, right?

Thoughts? TIA.

mykidsmom
07-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Can you please tell me at what age Weisbluth recommends shortening the am nap and moving to a longer second nap?
Thanks!

daisy1234
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi...I wish I had an answer for you! WE are dealing with our own sleep issues! Just a thought.... Have you checked out www.Familysleep.com ....Deb...the sleep lady...as I call her...has helped me so much with both my kids. Her phone and email consults are so worth it! She is familiar with DR. W...he was her son's pediatrician....that is how she began her business.... I am due for another consult with my 4 month old. :) If you use her please let her know that I referred you. I would appreciate it...you get a 30 minute free phone consult for referrals!

Laura W.

amck
07-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Weisbluth's book says that most kids go from 2 naps to 1 b/w 13mos and 15mos, I think. I just re-read his section about this issue and specifically his section about kids who want to drop the p.m. nap as opposed to the a.m. nap, which is what DD is doing. His suggestion, if I understood him correctly, is to take the a.m. nap and then gradually across weeks push it back 10 to 20 minutes until you get the nap to afternoon. While you're doing this, he suggests making bedtime extra early until the nap is late enough in the afternoon. I guess that is what I'll try.

Laura - just out of curiousity, how much is a phone or email consult? (If you don't mind sharing!) I get Deb's monthly mass emails and always enjoy her insight. Will have to check out the website. Thanks!

daisy1234
07-22-2005, 01:25 PM
The phone consults are $75/hour and the email consults are cheaper...? maybe $50 for 5 emails! I really enjoyed talking with her! the best $75 I have ever spent! She just saw DR. W...Her son was his pt years ago! There is another sleep lady...her phone consults are much more. Deb used to charge $50/hr. Hope this helps!

Laura