PDA

View Full Version : Sleep issues for 9 week old boy

NoemiArthur
07-15-2005, 08:08 AM
My son is almost 9 weeks old and I trying to work on some sleep issues.

First the night sleep, he only sleeps a stretch of 4-6 hours, followed by a stretch of 1-2 hours. I have no trouble getting him to sleep, just keeping him there. I am breastfeeding him. I have read all the books and he is swaddled, sleeping in his carseat in our room, and has white noise. He does not sleep any better/longer if brought in bed with us (and I don't either).

Day sleep. Some days he hardly sleeps (he just catnaps all day long). Other days he takes some naps. It's always inconsistent.

I'd like to get him transitioned to the crib for day and night sleep. I've tried it for day naps, but he wakes up in 5-10 minutes and starts crying. I haven't tried it for night sleep yet.

I know he will need to learn to go to sleep on his own and that he is to young for cry it out (I'm not sure if I can do that anyway). But any time I have tried to put him down somewhat awake, he wakes up and cries. I put him to sleep by swaddling, rocking, and the pacifier.

I also don't want him to get a habit with the pacifier, but he so clearly needs it.

Thanks.

boygirl3
07-16-2005, 01:46 AM
I'm no expert by far but your 9 week old is sleeping the same schedule as my 5 1/2 MONTH old!

He goes to sleep well...sometimes with and sometimes without a pacifier. I do rock/hold him and sometimes put him down when he is not 100% out but he still only sleeps 4 hours (max). He then is up/down every 1 to 2 hours. My ped says not to worry....babies will find a schedule on their own (for the most part). My little guy is now on solid foods (in addition to being breastfed and bottle supplemented)...and no matter what people tell you it doesn't make their tummies more "full" so they will sleep longer.

Our little guy slept in a bassinet, the car seat and/or in bed with us till about 4 months...then I started doing naps and the 1st stretch of night sleeping in the crib. He still comes into our room in the early morning hours...it actually helps him sleep better.

I am with you on having a hard time letting him "cry it out"....breaks my heart. In fact, I haven't tried it yet. It is a fine line between "babying" them too much and letting them figure it out on their own. I just try and remain flexible and work slowly on moving him into a better schedule. In fact, he is doing it on his own. Though how he is teething so I'm sure it will all change again.

I'd ask your ped and see if he/she has any input but you might be forcing the issue too soon.

Good luck.

daisy1234
07-19-2005, 09:25 AM
I know what you are going through...that was my baby Julia! She is now almost 4 months old! I had to carry her the first 8 weeks to get her to nap! The second I would lay her down....she would look terrified and start crying so I ended up carrying her all day! It was so stressful...mainly because I had a 3 yo who needed my attention as well! ANyway...the best advice I got was from the Deb...at family sleep.com She suggested watching for sleepy signs about 45 minutes after Julia would wake up...low and behold she slows down and starts to yawn around 40-45 minutes after she wakes...so at that time She recommends starting to sooth them to sleep( it is ok to nurse them or whatever soothing method works for you)...we would sing 1 lullaby and rock in the chair...I would shh her and rock her until almost asleep...then lay her down in her crib. Then she'd sleep! Then she'd wake up...I'd nurse her...wait and look for sleepy signs...low and behold Deb was right...about 45v minutes...I then would take her and do my little routine and she would sleep! it took about 1 week and now after our routine she fights sleep a bit but she is ready and she grumbles tp sooth herself...not crying...if she crys I rub her back or pat her bottom a little. She is taking about 3 naps a day since we started this. I think the trick is to put them to bed when they are showing signs of being sleepy...If I wait 1-2 hours after she wakes...like my sitter prefers...she is VERY had to get down and will skip naps or take 20 minute naps! It is very hard to convince others that Julia gets overstimulated easily!....Her night sleep is much better when she naps! This is a good time for you to start working on a routine. But...it seems Julia was better at napping at around 3 months! My first was a terrible sleeper and was binki dependant so we really wanted to do things different this time around. Again...I love Deb at Familysleep.com ...I know I sound like a commercial for her but her advice has helped Julia to be a better sleeper. Her phone consult was the best money I have ever spent! Good luck!
Please keep us updated!

Laura W...Mommy to Julia (3 months!) and Erik ( 3 years)

KrisM
08-04-2005, 05:29 PM
My son just started sleeping longer than 4-5 hour stretches. He is 15 months. He has slept through the night twice now. Not in a row, but hopefully that'll come soon.

At 9 weeks, I think 4-6 hours isn't too bad.

For day sleep, around 7-8 weeks, we had to start really pushing him to nap. Before that, he'd just fall asleep whenever. Laying on the bed with him worked for us. He'd sleep about 45 minutes at a time that way. He would only be awake for about an hour or so. Like a PP said, I really watched for sleepy signs. One yawn and I'd start getting him ready.

Also, make a routine for naps and a longer one for night sleep. It didn't do much at first, but by 4-5 months, it really helped.

Not sure on the paci. We had one and got rid of it at 4 months. It was great for a while.

number 1 on the way
08-16-2005, 08:43 AM
I am going thru the same thing right now. My DD has been in her crib though since 2 weeksish and fine to sleep in it. Our problem is the same that I will soothe her to sleep then lay her down and within a few min she wakes up. A girlfriend mentioned that I might try laying her on her side so this is the first day to try this. She falls asleep in a semi-turned cradle position so maybe this will help. She too only takes catnaps some days and others she takes 2 and 3 hour naps with 1 hour play inbetween. I watch for her cues, she yawns and sometimes plays with her hair and I immediately swaddle her and put on the white noise. The frustrating part is she is not consistant what so ever with her schdeule. It's either a great sleeping day or a non-sleeping day!