PDA

View Full Version : To sleep or not to sleep...

ageorge911
08-20-2005, 07:27 PM
For the last year, I have been getting up with my 16 mo DD somewhere between 5-5:30 am so that I can nurse her before I go to work (I am a teacher and have to leave the house at 6:30am). If I didn't do this, I wouldn't get to see her until I picked her up in the afternoon and that would make me SO sad. However, as of late, she has been getting up at 4:30, and even if I wait until 5 to nurse her, she still keeps getting up at the way too early hour. Plus, with school starting soon, I can't get back to sleep because I am worrying about school stuff.

So my question is, should I stop waking her or getting up with her this early (she isn't hungry -- she just nurses because I offer it to her)? I worry that later on when I finally stop nursing, she will continue to get up and it will be harder to get back to sleep. Should I try to let her CIO for a few nights so that she gets used to the new schedule. I am so confused and sad because I would miss her so much, but think that this might be the best thing to do.

Thanks for any advice.

daisy1234
09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
What time is bedtime?...the reason why I ask is it seems that many kids do better with an earier bedtime...that often...amd did fix that issue with my son! The later he was up the earier he would get up! Just as Dr. Weissbluth observed as well! Does she nap?...poor napping habits can also effect nighttime sleep and early waking. I know people are going to start thinking I do commercials for Familysleep.com...but I have had good luck with talking to DEb. She really understands the babies sleep. She worked with Dr. Weissbluth...see my other posts. Anyway...I found her phone consults to be very valuable! I would recommend giving her a call. I know how hard it is to change a schedule for both of you especially is it entails weaning! Good luck and please post an update for others...I can see myself in that similiar situation!

Laura

ericher
09-06-2005, 04:47 AM
I do think some children will learn to wake up earlier and earlier if you go into them too soon in the morning. After all, your DD also understands this is her time with you, so why wouldn't she want more of it? If you value your sleep I would definitely go cold turkey on picking her up to nurse her so early. It is a big sacrifice on your part but believe me, it's better than enduring several months of a 4:30 - 5:00 wake up call which we went through after making this mistake. (Our son appears to be a naturally early riser but when we started to go right into his room when he woke up at 5:30, he just started waking up earlier and earlier until we were at our wit's end and had to CIO.) It's better for you to have less time but better time together (I think) than more time that is of lower quality because you are both exhausted.

Still, that doesn't mean it's easy.

ageorge911
09-06-2005, 04:58 AM
Her bedtime is between 7:30-8:00. This has always been her bedtime (since she started going to sleep at a regular time). She takes a nap after lunch at daycare for between 1-3 hours. My first week of getting up with her at 6am went really well. Of course, I had to do one night of CIO. Then, the long weekend came with a tooth and we are back to a 3:45am wake up call. I will see how things go tomorrow and reassess the situation. I am all over the place on this. If she wakes up at 6am, then I think this can work. If she wakes up earlier, then I get frustrated and don't know what to do.

As far as her napping and overall sleep habits, she likes to play in her crib before going to sleep. She can do that for awhile and is perfectly content to hang out in there. She has always been like that. Sometimes, I worry because most kids don't like to spend that much time in their cribs, but she loves it.

Again, with the early wake up call this morning, I am back to what should I do? I wish that I didn't have to leave for work at 6:30am. I think that would help...