PDA

View Full Version : Seeking words of encouragement RE: 3 week old NOT sleeping more than 4hrs a day

napavalleywino
09-01-2005, 02:11 PM
We are into week three with our new baby girl Emily Kate, and we are just seeking some advice about her not taking naps during the day. We have tried holding and rocking, the swing, feeding, walking around with the baby bjorn and sometimes she just does not want to go down.

Yesterday, she slept less than 3 hours from 8am to 10pm. (we finally got her to sleep by placing her in her car seat and putting her on top of the dryer while it was running. Thirty minutes later she was finally asleep.

We see her cues when she is sleepy and we try to tone her down but nothing seems to work. She then gets herself so over exhausted that absolutely nothing can get her to sleep

Are we touching on this subject too soon?

Does anyone have any suggestions.

My wife is getting to a point where she is so frustrated.

Help.

Thank you for your time.

thebeansmom
09-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I completely understand the frustration! My guy (I figured out WAY too late)has always been easily overstimulated. Keeping the t.v. and music to a minimum, not too much jiggling etc.. can help. Also, if you have a vague idea that Emily Kate is heading toward sleepiness -- make sure you give her a little "down time" - not too much movement - quiet talking or singing (I started "lecturing" my guy about whatever came to mind - we covered the waxing and waning of the moon etc.. in a soothing voice) and take her OUTSIDE - it works like a charm - then - instead of trying something else new everytime it doesn't seem to be working -- just keep doing the same thing until the monotony (much like lecturing) just bores her to sleep :) (the stand and sway is great but rough on a new mom's back) The vacume was a major discovery as well - if he got himself too "worked up" it worked as an override mechanism -- too loud or whatever but if it wouldn't knock him out it would at least give me the opportunity to continue to help him calm down (for months it was left plugged in in the living room and I eventually started to find it pretty soothing myself). No, I don't think that you are touching on the subject too soon. I do know from experience, however, that one can get really obsessive about one's baby's sleep (understandable as it is so directly related to one's own which then affects one's sanity etc.. oh, speaking of which, have your wife check out "The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year" really gave me a chuckle when nothing else did)at any rate my very best advise would be to try to relax and believe that you can help your baby go to sleep because you really can and she really will sleep and it really will get better.

kelly_austin
09-12-2005, 10:59 AM
We had the same problem - my baby is 2 mo. old now and it is much easier to get her to sleep, although there are still days when she just flat refuses. Some things that have worked are turning the tv to a static station and the volume way up and also, using a baby bjorn. i put her in the baby bjorn and just bounce around the house - she usually falls asleep within 10 minutes. then i can have my hands free and go around doing whatever i need to do.
don't worry, it will get better! she falls asleep now in her co-sleeper with a little help (pacifier or jiggling it on recommendation from the pediatrician) but a couple of more months and she'll be able to do it alone. good luck!!

love2stamp
09-20-2005, 09:03 AM
A baby's sleep is disorganized the first couple months of life. She will eventually take her naps during the day but don't expect a schedule or long naps until 3+ months. My DS didn't start taking regular naps until 4 months. Most of his naps before 4 months were 30 mins long. It was very frustrating and tiring. A good book that gave me a better understanding of baby sleep is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth.

Enjoy your time with baby Emily Kate=) Good luck!

Karen

Karenn
09-20-2005, 09:45 AM
It's so hard! Neither of my kids have been stellar sleepers. Watching her cues is a good place to start. I noticed with my kids though, that sometimes, their "sleepy cues" didn't show up until after they were already too tired to fall asleep easily. With DD at that age, I started trying to get her to sleep within an hour or so of waking up. By the time she had been awake for 2 hours, it was usually too late. I also started holding DD through her naps if she didn't sleep well the previous nap. (I used a sling, the baby bjorn might work too.) I did this because I found that the longer the previous nap had been, the easier it was to put her down for the next one and she almost always slept better when she was being held.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child was helpful to me too.

JacksMommy
09-29-2005, 02:57 PM
HI there, I wanted to check in and see how you guys are doing on this!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

rebeccaravit
10-14-2005, 07:58 AM
I am in the same boat with my 3 week old. However he does not sleep at all! He usually wakes up btwn 7 and 8 for breakfast and goes back to sleep until 10. Then he's up the rest of the day! When he does fall asleep its in my arms and if I put him down he wakes up. So he only gets 10 mins here and there during the day. I don't know if the problem is me or him. Any advice on how you helped the problem in the last month?

Thanks!

Rebecca