PDA

View Full Version : My 3 month old won't sleep more than 2 hours every night

mpsihudakis
10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
My daughter was sleeping 4-5 hours since she was born but then all of a sudden she started waking up every 2 hours. I thought it was a growth spurt but it has been happening for 3 weeks now. It also takes me at least 3 hours to get her to sleep in her crib. Every time I put her down she wakes up. I try to put her down when she is zoneing but that doesn't help. After she gets up in the middle of the night I nurse her in bed and she falls a sleep much easier, so i don't want to wake her if I bring her to her crib. I think I'm starting a bad habit but we all need much needed sleep. What can I do?

kedss
10-11-2005, 06:21 PM
She could be teething, or could she have acid reflux? Does she seem to be in pain when she wakes up?

mpsihudakis
10-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Yes, she does wake up with a high pitch shrill. i do think she has signs of teething, like excessive drooling but isn't it really early to have full blown teething pain?
How would I know if it was acid reflux?

kedss
10-12-2005, 11:04 AM
my DS started teeething at one week, some kids get teeth around four months. On your next checkup I would ask your doc about reflux. We put our DS in hs carseat to sleep, becuase he couldn't sleep laying flat.

Anniesmom
10-14-2005, 10:07 AM
We've just started having this problem too--DD used to sleep easily but now she falls asleep as soon as we pick her up but wakes up within 10 minutes of putting her down. We had the idea of sleeping with her blanket so it smells like us so she feels like she's near us. Haven't tried it yet, but maybe it'll work?

mpsihudakis
10-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Please let me know if it works. I know my daughter likes to have her face nuzzled in a blanket but then I'm afraid that she will suffocate, so I don't do it. What else can leave my smell near her?

mamatomax
10-16-2005, 12:20 AM
DS started doing that same thing at 2 months, and I didn't figure out what to do until I got the Baby Whisperer book (the newest one) when he was almost 3 months old. I started him on a night time routine and started giving him a pacifier (he never liked one until he was 3 mo.) when I layed him down and when he woke up periodically. In addition, I do the shush-pat technique that she teaches. Solved my problem! I do the same thing with bringing him into bed to nurse and sleep when it's time for him to eat, and I don't feel that it does any harm. You need some sleep, too! DS now sleeps from 8:30PM-3:30AM-->Diaper change-> nurse in bed to sleep-->wake 8:30AM->sleeps again in crib 9:30AM-11:00AM. Sure beats getting up every 2 hours! HTH!

I think the book is called: The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems. I bought mine from Half.com.

Jill
Mama to Baby Max

http://b1.lilypie.com/VnnVm5/.png
http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/265055.png