PDA

View Full Version : Getting baby to sleep later

cjsm44
10-25-2005, 10:44 AM
My babysitter wants us to try to get our six month old to sleep later in the mornings so he doesn't go so long before his morning nap. She suggested we put him to bed later in the evening so he'll sleep later in the morning. The problem is, we moved his bedtime up an hour (to 7pm) months ago because he was waking up at 5 am and we wanted him to sleep for a longer period at night. Even with the earlier bedtime, he still wakes at 5-5:30. I'm concerned that if I keep him up later in the evening, he'll still wake at 5 and just get less sleep instead of sleeping later. Any ideas how I can get him to sleep until 6 or so in the morning?

csburky
11-02-2005, 09:02 AM
I can relate exactly!! My DS is 11 months old and has pretty much always gotten up at 5:20 a.m. For about 3 weeks last month, he was sleeping until 6:30 everyday, but I guess that was just a fluke. I don't respond to him until about 6:15 but I am still awake listening to him babble...very annoying! I would say that you should definitely NOT put him to bed later because he will be overtired and wake up earlier and feel less rested. My son goes to bed by 6pm everynight because he is soooo tired. He is actually starting to drop one of his naps, so some days he is in bed by 5:30. Once I get the naps figured out, I am going to SLOWLY try to push his bedtime to 6:30 or 7! I would also try to put your son down for his first nap around 8/8:30. Waiting too long to put them down for their naps also creates overtired kids! I know this isn't very helpful but it is probably nice to know that you aren't the only one going through this!

Allison_B
12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a six month old as well. We've found that earlier to bed, rather than later to bed has been the magic answer to good sleep for her. She goes to bed between 6 and 6:30 and wakes up around 4:30 to eat (this is starting to go away I think as she's pushing this back later and later, too) and then she sleeps until 6:30 or 6:45. She goes down for her morning nap around 8:30, and it lasts anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I agree with the previous post that an earlier morning nap is better.

Good Luck!

Allison B.