PDA

View Full Version : When to Unswaddle?

memie
10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
DS loves to be swaddle. He is a very active baby and having hard time to settle himself to sleep. He was swaddled from birth to 2.5 months and we stopped swaddling him until last week when he started to roll over. He just master rolling from his back to tummy but not another way, so he cannot go back to his back. He will cry and will not stopp crying until I swaddle him, so we are back to swaddling. Is it ok for his age to be swaddled? He loves to be swaddled tight, too. I usually left one arm unswaddled since he loves his thumb. I cannot even get both arms unswaddled because he will just flailing his arms and cry. What should I do?

Memie
Mommy of Ethan

kelly_austin
10-28-2005, 10:01 AM
I was just logging on to post the exact same question..I have an almost 4 month old who sleeps beautifully swaddled, and has never really taken to sucking her thumb. we tried last week to leave one arm out and she had a meltdown the few times we did it. How long is it ok to swaddle a baby?

memie
10-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi...

I guess we are in the same boat. I email the local LLL group and one of the member is a certified the happiest baby in the block instructor and here is her reply:

You can swaddle your baby for a long time. Some parents do as late as 8-9
months, if that's what works for the baby. In my training as Happiest baby
instructor I have learned that you need to follow baby cues. You can start
weaning the baby at 3 months by letting baby sleep with one arm out of the
swaddle, but if it does not work, go back to swaddling. I am always
available for a phone conversation.

So I guess it's ok. Let me know it you have any more questions

Memie

csburky
11-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I swaddled my son until he was 5 months old. He outgrew the "Miracle Blanket", so we quit at that time. If they made a bigger blanket, we would probably still be swaddling at 11 months!