PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 month odl baby waking frequently at night

aza
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I am tired and confused and realize that I am not alone in this situation. My 6.5 month old (gestationally, actually 7.5 month old) baby wakes up every 2-4 hours at night to eat. Oftentimes I feed him, but sometimes (if he wakes up after 2 hours, for example, and I am completely exhausted) I ignore his cries and he settles down within 10 minutes.

My ped told me more than a month ago that 6-month old babies still need to eat twice a night (she suggested 12am and 5 am), and - inspired - I let my baby cry a few times, and everything was fine for a few weeks; he was waking up at about 12 am and 4 am to eat. I could not be happier! Then gradually, he started eating at 11 pm, 2 am and 5 am, and am I frustrated because he additionally wakes up every 2 hours to cry, calling for me. My heart goes out to him but I am exhaused and frustrated. Yes, I know that babies are notorious for "making two steps forward, one step back" (as my ped put it), but does it mean that I have to let my baby cry from time to time??

What is your experience?

Alex

babyboyontheway
01-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Not sure why your ped is saying your 6 month old still needs to eat at night; everything I've read and been told says that by 4 months, they are perfectly capable of getting all their nutrition during the day and sleeping through the night. May want to consult a different ped if possible?

casey0729
02-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I think it depends on whether the baby is breastfed or not. My son ate twice at night until around 6-7 months then he dropped to one early morning feeding between 4-6 am. He just dropped the early morning feeding 2 weeks ago and he will be 9 months tomorrow. I've been told that formula fed babies are more able to sleep through the night at a young age.

Your baby may be crying at other times because of other reasons - too hot/too cold, needs a paci or something to keep them feeling secure in the crib or even teething. Every baby is different. Mine would always wake up if he was too hot.