PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about my 5 week old daughter

ying
03-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi, I have a 5 week old daughter. She has been sleeping 1 to 3 hours at a stretch. But yesterday, all of a sudden, she slept from 3pm to 10:30pm and she also went without a bowel movement for 50 some hours now while before she usually had a couple of dirty diapers a day. She also seems a bit sluggish, although this could be my immagination. I am not sure. I called doctor's office and was told there was nothing to worry about. But I am very worried and would like to hear from other parents if this is normal from your experiences and whether I should be alert of anything. Many thanks!

Mazz
03-28-2006, 11:23 AM
When my DD was a few months old used to go 2 -3 days without a dirty diaper and then have what we used to term "explosive diapers." Our Dr said you can call the office after 3 days w/o a dirty diaper but we probably will have you check back after 5 days. She always went after about 3 days and then look out!! As long as she still had wet diapers they were not concerned.

As for the long period of sleep, At the age, during the day, I usual woke her after 5 hours to breastfeed. Plus if she sleeps that much during the day she won't want to sleep at night.