PDA

View Full Version : Baby turning onto belly

BargainMomforLuke
04-26-2006, 08:20 AM
We're letting our 6 1/2 month old DS CIO this week. It's working pretty well with crying usually less than 10 minutes. However, he keeps flipping over onto his belly during the crying phase and then ends up falling asleep on his belly with his face turned partially into the mattress (about 1/3 of the way). Is this okay??? In the evening, I flip him over after he's asleep, but we're also finding him on his belly in the morning, so he's turning himself over in the middle of the night.

He has been sleeping better since being on his belly. I know he's past the 6 month benchmark for SIDS, but it still worries the heck out of me.

Thanks for your feedback!

Natalie

Mazz
04-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Natalie

My DD is now almost 9 months. I had the same exact fears. I stop swaddling at 5 months and started putting her in a Halo Sack to sleep. She always ended up on her belly and her face was partially turned into the mattress. I, too, would wait until she fell asleep and move her but she just ended up back on her belly.

She slept through the night when she was swaddled and so did I because I wasn't worried about her rolling over. Once she was rolling to her belly I was up every few hours to check her.

I probably waited too long but I took her bumpers out at the point and that helped me to relax a little. I slowly started sleeping through the night.

I guess, as my husband said, you just have to have faith that she will be alright. She was strong enough to turn over and she is aware if she needs to reposition herself for more air.

Are the bumpers out of the crib?

Good luck and have faith!

Mazz

megs4413
05-01-2006, 11:31 PM
your ds can probably roll both ways right?? once they have mastered the skill of rolling from front to back and back to front voluntarily, there's not much to worry about. If he has trouble breathing he'll wake up and cry/roll back over. Enjoy the sleep!

BargainMomforLuke
05-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks Ladies! He's been sleeping great now and loves sleeping on his belly. He rolls over both ways and the bumper pads have been removed (although now the crib looks like a jail :-( ). I can always count on this site for some reassurance. Thanks again!

gypsum98
05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi,
a couple of people mentioned about removing the bumper pads. But isnt the main reason for the bumper pads to avoid having limbs etc caught in the slats? is it really necessary to remove these to prevent SIDS?
thanks

ChristinaLucia
06-26-2006, 07:18 PM
They told us at the hospital to remove the bumper pads on the crib because of SIDS. I worry about her little limbs hanging out - but oh well. I'll be happpy when we are past the worry point!

Molly C
07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
My DD is 6.5 months, and I put her to sleep in her crib on her tummy, and I have bumpers in. She does like to start off sleeping with her face planted into the mattress, but she sleeps on top of her hands when she does this, so her nose isn't smushed.

I also did the CIO to break her swaddling habit - I was swaddling her till about 5.5 months, and I had to literally pin her in the blanket, and she was still getting out. During our first - and really only major - CIO session, she ended up on her stomach, and fell asleep that way for a nap. That night I put her down on her belly, and she slept through the night for the first time.

I talked to my pedi this week, and she said it was fine for me to place her on her belly, especially since she just ends up there anyway. This way she just goes right to sleep, instead of crying because she's on her back. She does roll both ways, but I am not sure that she makes the association to roll over to make herself more comfortable sleeping. I put her on her tummy to save us both the hassle.

Only rarely do I check on her to find her face very close to the bumper, and when I do, I just move her back to the middle.

The risk of SIDS drops dramatically at 4 months, so while there is still a small risk, it's really fine to let her sleep on her tummy.