PDA

View Full Version : Nursling doesn't sleep thru the night

mls115
09-25-2006, 07:48 PM
My DS is almost 8 months old. He rarely sleeps thru. He can do it but most nights he wakes up at least once. I understand that developmentally he CAN sleep thru and doesn't NEED to eat but nursing is the quickest/easiest way to get him back to dreamland. Do I need to just bite the bullet and struggle through a few nights to get him to get the idea that the kitchen is closed? DH really wants him to sleep better but as soon as I go into the room - he smells the milk, and there is no telling him no.

atlcombs
09-25-2006, 09:17 PM
My first DD was like that and because she was super skinny, we did the night feedings till she was almost 10 months old. At that point, I was too tired and we let her cry it out for like 2 nights. After that, she has slept like a champ since! If your DS doesn't need the feedings, let him cry. But, do it on a night where you and DH don't have to worry about getting up and working the next day. That way you all can sleep in! Good luck!
~gina

kristenk
09-28-2006, 12:51 PM
My DD didn't sleep through until much later and I think she really needed a night-feed still at 8 months - but that's just her. If you really think that he doesn't need the night feeding, can you let your DH go into the room and check on him. Maybe even offer a bottle of EBM to see if he's really hungry or not? If he's hungry and he's okay with bottles, he'll probably accept the bottle. If it's more of a "being with Mommy" kind of thing, then he might not be too interested in the EBM.

If you're okay with slowly reducing the night feeding, you could always just start feeding him for a minute or so less every couple of nights until you eliminate the feeding.

Good luck!

KrisM
09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Same here. DS ate until he was nearly 12 months. I did drop 1 of the 2 feedings by cutting a minute out every night. Worked great and no crying.

JulieL
10-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm on my way to start this myself soon, it's not gonna be pretty though!

mls115
10-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Just an update... DS doesn't eat at night anymore. He still may wake up occasionally but if I give him his bink or maybe a drink of water he's back to dreamland! Our current schedule is in Bed by 7:30pm and feeding any time after 4:30am but sometimes he makes it until 6 or later. He always goes back to sleep after the early morning feeding so this schedule works quite nice for me! :) And DH is sleeping better too!