PDA

View Full Version : 12 week old taking long nap in am

kristabn
10-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Is it weird that my 12 week old son is taking his longest nap of the day in the morning? He wakes up in the am, eats, takes a short nap (1/2 hour), wakes, and then around 9:00/9:30 he goes down for a long nap that can last for 3+ hours. The rest of the day he takes a few 30 minute catnaps here and there. Is that abnormal? Anyone have this happen? How did it work out for you?
Thanks,
Kristin

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2006, 02:31 PM
At this age they really aren't necessarily setting long term habits or patterns. Typically as they get older 6+ months)they'll have a morning and afternoon nap about the same length or longer in the afternoon. But, I don't see why they have to follow that pattern ever so long as they are getting enough sleep in 24 hours to be happy. Make sure they are getting enough feedings in during the 24 hour period too.

My ds cat napped (45 minutes here and there) at that age so enjoy this sleep while you can. :) I think the first real nap he added though was the morning one and the afternoon one came later.

Beth

Saartje
10-05-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't remember exactly what my son was doing at 12 weeks, but FWIW, at two he still takes a morning-ish nap. Before his first birthday, he took his first nap about two hours after he first woke up, and then took another one in the afternoon. After he turned one, he started taking his first nap a little later (and it lasted a little longer) and dropped the second nap (but moved his bedtime up). His nap has gradually moved later, but it seems to be stuck at about an 11 am start time.

So this may turn out to be a phase for your son, or it may turn out to reflect his natural sleep rhythms. Either way is normal, so I wouldn't sweat it.