PDA

View Full Version : Sleep help please!!! I need help!!

nfowife
10-11-2006, 12:16 PM
DD was on an AWESOME schedule until about a week ago. She started hard-core teething and also had a cold (or maybe the runny nose/congestion was part of the teething, I really don't know). She went from sleeping 7 pm-7:30 am with a 2-2.5 hour nap daily (from around 12:15-2:30ish). Now, she is going to sleep around 6:30ish and waking at 6 am (OMG I am not ready to be up at 6!). Which means she is ready for a nap much earlier. Today she fell asleep in the car at 11 am, I transferred her to her crib, and it's 12:15 and she just woke up.
What can I do? The teething seems to be subsiding, she is still a bit congested but I am doing tylenol cold or benedryl to help with that, since the nose sucker is like torture to her.
I am so tired and I just don't know what to do. If she is really awake right now that means she is going to be a nutjob come 5:00 until bedtime, on top of the fact that she has been super tantrum-y lately so not the most pleasant even when well-rested. HELP! Should I try an ultra-early bedtime tonight (like by 5:30-6 in bed)? Keep her up? I've read Weissbluth but I'm not sure what to do in this situation. What happened to my good sleeper? I want her back!

newmomto3kids
10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Funny enough, I have always found that if I gave my kids cold medicine or benadryl they woke up much earlier. They slept through the night but then were up at the crack of dawn.
Maybe once the cold is cleared up she will go back to her regular schedule.
I always put my kids to bed early if it seemed like they would sleep. They never woke up ultra early in the morning either, just a little earlier than usual.

nfowife
10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I am mainly doing the benadryl/cold meds because she is having a hard time staying asleep with the congestion- she is a finger sucker and can't do it when she needs to breathe through her mouth. There were about 3 nights where she woke up multiple times during the night, it was horrible! She is also just generally irritable and cranky all.the.time. Clingy, too. I just don't know what happened to her in the last week.... I am actually going to try to get a sick appt. to see if maybe she has an ear infection? No temp at all, and she had her ears checked last week during a hearing test, but she keeps sticking her fingers in her right ear so maybe that's it. I'm totally stumped!

megs4413
10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
sounds just like my dd about two weeks ago...it turned out to just be the cold/cough whatever it was...as soon as the gunk was out of her nose, she went back the way she was...i hope this is the case for you and your beauty is just a couple days away from a good night's rest...

nfowife
10-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh megs, I hope so too! I went to the ped, no ear infection (she's never had one before, so I didn't really know what to look for...I guess she just discovered her ear and it's a fun toy!), and her throat was fine. She gave me some traminic cold/allergy and I'll try that tonight. I just want my sleeping beauty back, and happy baby too! My back is killing me from constantly having her on my hip, and the fact she's super clingy isn't helping....wants me to pick her up constantly, then wants to get down, then cries and wants me to pick her back up.....ugh.

newnana
10-12-2006, 01:29 PM
How was last night?

We're going through this right now too. DD is teething and getting over a cold. This morning we went in and her room was FREEZING. I guess because we close her door slightly and don't have the heat on (and our house is 50+ with the original windows). Tonight we're going to dress her warmer and pull out the humidifier for the congestion. Good luck!
Michelle