PDA

View Full Version : newborn sleep pattern

gerri713
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
My baby is 1 month old, I put her down for the night around 8pm, she gets a bath, put her in her night clothes and give her a bottle. she sleeps for maybe 2 hours, sometimes only 1 and then wakes up, normally hungry. I feed her again and she may drink anywhere from 1 to 4 oz's and she will fuss for about 2-3 hours. I can not get her back to sleep everytime I put her down she cries, so I start the process again, feed her, change her, walk with her in case she has a pain. This happens 2-3 times a night and again in the morning. then by 3pm, she is tired and sleeps well for 2-3 hours.
Everything I have read, states everything I am doing is correct, is this just a normal phase they go through??

proggoddess
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh, yeah, it's normal. And they're usually the fussiest around 3-6 weeks old. If she's not spitting up excessively or has diarrhea, it's probably normal fussiness. Both of my DC were their most alert and cranky between 7pm and 11pm. Just when I am my most tired.

At this age, you're just in survival mode. Give the paci, put the baby in the swing/bouncy seat, swaddle them up (if it isn't too hot), carry them everywhere. At 3+ months, you can start to think about doing the "proper" sleep techniques. :)

gerri713
08-10-2006, 05:48 PM
thank you, I was begining to loose my mind. I just started the Paci and putting her down later and so far it seems to work. So I will be sticking with this plan until the next major blow up.
she also has what sounds like a lot of mucus in her chest, but the doctor says that is normal for new borns.

Should I be taking her out yet, or should I wait until she has her shots? I have been limiting going out, but am begining to go stir crazy!!!

gerri:-)

proggoddess
08-11-2006, 08:22 AM
My DD never had problems with newborn congestion, but my DS had it. He was so snorky sounding and was always seeming to clear his throat. A humidifier helped when it wasn't so hot. Also those aerosol saline nasal sprays really helped. I'd give him a couple short squirts in each nostril, then prop him on his tummy on the Boppy. Gravity would take its course.

With DD, we never went out the first 6 weeks. With DS, we were at the zoo and the mall in 2 weeks. (Took him grocery shopping on Day 4!) I guess it's just because he's the 2nd child. :) You can go outside, but maybe avoid crowded areas with lots of kids.